1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Journalist Smacks CDC!

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Dolphin, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This went out on Co-Cure on Thursday but I don't think got featured as much as it could have because of the CFSAC meeting that day:

=============

An investigative journalism site in Atlanta just posted the following article about the CDC and Reeves.

Advocates: Where was CDC for milestone in chronic fatigue syndrome research?

October 28, 2009 --

Looks like the CDC's chronic fatigue syndrome research group, led by Dr. William C. Reeves, may have some 'splaining to do today in Washington. A possible research breakthrough -- the discovery of a correlation between CFS and a retrovirus related to the AIDS virus -- has fired up the medical community in recent weeks. "This is going to create an avalanche of subsequent studies," Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University, told the New York Times this month. But will the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention play a role in that research? It hasn't so far.

http://www.atlantaunfiltered.com/20...lestone-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-research/

Please feel free to re-post as is. Constructive comments are encouraged and can be made at the site.

2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    This is good!! It just needs to keep going, going and building. This needs to "snowball", if there is anyway possible. It's starting to come from all directions. He has got to be feeling the heat! Now it's time for him to get out of the kitchen!"

3. KC22

KC22 Senior Member

Ohio
    Good Article.. It's hard to believe this was written before the big meeting.

Great reporting!!! Enjoyed the comments after the article, too..

4. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

great CDC article

thanks for passing this on Tom.

It's the best reporting on the CDC or any aspect of ME/CFS that I've seen. In fact, I'd call it journalism!

Wonder if we can encourage the reporter to put out regular articles on ME/CFS. Does anyone know who the reporter is?

Jerry S - you may have to let the WaPo know it was scooped again!

if:)

ETA I just added a comment on the atlanta page asking for more on ME/CFS from this journalist.

5. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Big Opportunity

This is a big opportunity that we're missing the boat on with all the XMRV stuff going on. This guy has been fed the dirt on the CDC by a former journalist who has ME/CFS. She's been after him for months. He's based in Atlanta - the CDC headquarters. They will hear about him.

We've got to get on top of this and push. This is the first time a journalist has taken up the drumbeat on the CDC. Please click on the post and leave your comments.

If we can get enough hits to this guy he could turn this into a series. Media attention is exactly what's lacking for us with the CDC. All the professionals criticisms have made no difference - we need the media to put the heat on.

This guy is actually doing it. Check it out.

http://www.atlantaunfiltered.com/200...rome-research/

6. Carla-nl

Carla-nl Veteran by now

Europe
  7. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Added a comment to this article

Your link didn't work for me, Cort, but Tomk's did, from the top of the page. I just submitted a rather fiery comment and now feel a little guilty. Was I too mean with my meaning? There is blood on the road, however, and I wanted my message to reflect that reality.

Yikes,

Cecelia

8. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I thought your comments were apt and true.

The CDC is not responding to virtually any of the criticisms presented not just by patients but by professionals in the field. It's simply sitting back and ignoring them. That cannot be condoned. That program has to wake up!

(I fixed the link:))

9. Jerry S

Jerry S Senior Member

Chicago
    Cecelia

Hi Cecelia, I just looked at your comment. It's great and entirely appropriate. I often have these second thoughts, too. I think you should feel proud, not guilty.

Great job! Thank you.

Jerry

10. Jerry S

Jerry S Senior Member

Chicago
    islandfinn

Thanks for your good work! :) I think I'll wait a while and see if this is starting to sink in at the WaPo. If nothing happens, I'll follow up.

I've been emailing just to the WaPo's general "letters" address. I wonder if there's a better address to use.

I would hate to see them miss another scoop. :rolleyes:

11. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Atlanta Journalist Smacks the CDC

This is from my most recent blog. He's got almost 50 comments on that article. He's got to be noticing that. Lets keep up the heat.

See more popular forum discussions.