Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Jonathan Edwards: PACE team response shows a disregard for the principles of science

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Cheesus, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1359105317700886

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    sb4, Jo Best, Mary and 40 others like this.
  2. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Valentijn, Yogi, ballard and 4 others like this.
  3. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Yogi and Jennifer J like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

:cool: :) :thumbsup: :star:

:star: My thoughts on reading this paper.

Mary, Yogi, ballard and 10 others like this.
  5. PDXhausted

PDXhausted Senior Member

NW US
    This article is so great it really does deserve its own thread!

Mary, lilpink, Yogi and 12 others like this.
  6. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    This is my favourite part:

I'd like to think that Phoenix Rising has had something of a positive impact on our resident rheumatologist!

Thank you very much for writing this and all your support for patients with ME, @Jonathan Edwards!

sb4, Mary, MEMum and 32 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Read it, loved it. Especially the intro, where a bit of personal story (the sort of thing which normally annoys me) did a good job of setting the scene:

I did wonder if it would have been worth mentioning the trial's poor results for their objective outcomes?

Thanks a lot to @Jonathan Edwards for standing up for patients on this, and all his work on PACE advocacy. Slowly... making... progress...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    anni66, Mary, Yogi and 22 others like this.
  8. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

Indeed, massive thanks to Jonathon Edwards for all that he does & for this impressive piece :thumbsup:

Mary, Mel9, skylark and 13 others like this.
  9. suseq

suseq

@Cheesus Thanks for highlighting, and huge thanks to @Jonathan Edwards for this superbly incisive article that supports and explains previous criticism. Hopefully it will be widely circulated and reported, and become yet another game changer.

Mary, Mel9, Invisible Woman and 12 others like this.
  10. greeneagledown

greeneagledown Senior Member

Mary, Mel9, Invisible Woman and 7 others like this.
  11. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Save PR. Sack the President of the Board.

Has anyone got access to a copy of Simon Wessely and Brian Everitt's 'Clinical Trials in Psychiatry'.
    I refuse to waste £80 on it, and being housebound don't have access to a University library.

I'd be interested to know whether they point out the unscientific nature of unblinded trials with subjective outcome measures. (or any of the other flaws like conflicts of interest, changing recovery criteria etc)

If so, Wessely himself has condemned PACE before it started.

If not, he clearly doesn't understand science. This would help to explain why so many appallingly bad papers are published about ME by psychiatrists and psychologists, and also explain the well known crisis of replicability of psychological research.

12. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

I know it's old school but would it be possible to request it through your local library? Only suggesting that as there seems to be a blitz against Sci Hub at the moment :(

13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I had no idea Wessely had actually written a book on clinical trial methodology!

Everitt & Wessely are to be congratulated on producing an excellent guide to help overcome the snags in clinical trial research. Clearly written and in an engrossing style, the book is likely to become a classic textbook on clinical trials, and not just in psychiatry. The authors’ enthusiasm and grasp of clinical trial research make for a gripping and insightful read…it is one of the very best books that has been written on clinical trials.” THE BRITISH JOURNAL OF PSYCHIATRY

"The experience of both authors in this area gives the book a very pragmatic approach grounded in reality, with theoretical overviews invariably being followed by practical examples and applications… an invaluable companion to anyone involved in, or contemplating undertaking, clinical trials research.” PSYCHOLOGICAL MEDICINE

Reading between the lines of both comments is interesting. I guess overcoming snags is how to get round the fact you cannot do a trial that way. I can hear the editorial board of BJP going for it big time - 'you can do it that way cos they say so'.

A very pragmatic approach might I suppose mean not worrying too much about theory but just getting on with it even if you have no idea of methodological principles.

Oh your majesty, how your clothes do shimmer, or at least everyone says they do.

MeSci, sb4, anni66 and 36 others like this.
  14. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    I just found this at the bottom of one of Wessely's papers on trial methodology:

Link (PDF)

I suggest Wessely and Horton take their own advice.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  15. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    Brian Everitt is a statistician so I assume he covered the stats parts. I've found his book on cluster analysis very useful as well as one on multi-variate data analysis that he wrote with Graham Dunn (who was the statistician for FINE).

Woolie likes this.
  16. adreno

adreno PR activist

Lots of books - including the one mentioned above - can be found at Library Genesis:

http://gen.lib.rus.ec

17. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I have the book in question. Very low quality work. I searched it previously for any quotes that could be used against PACE and didn't find any.

sb4, Mary, TiredSam and 10 others like this.
  18. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

It has taken me a while to get round to read this. So much going on now.

I agree wholeheartedly wth all the above commenters.

Thank you so much @Jonathan Edwards. This is an amazing article. You cover a lot of good issues and flaws in one article.

I love the last paragraph.

How on earth can anyone make such errors and still not be able to see its flaws. These guys are professors and have got all sorts of awards and now are acting like they do not understand basic concepts. Are they really expecting us to believe that they cannot genuinely understand these issues.

Well this quote sums up the whole sorry sage of PACE:

'It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.'

To prove this point, the PACE authors have had the most egregious and most unusual financial undisclosed conflicts of interest in medicine with the DWP and insurance companies which they did not disclose to participants. They have saved billions for insurers and governments and sick and disabled patients have lost that same amount, and would continue to do so.

They would have gotten away with it if hadn't been for THE MEDDLING KIDS (like you and all the other patient and scientist critics)

Thank you @Jonathan Edwards for being on PR providing your ongoing advise, Thank you for supporting patients, Thank you for the article!!!

sb4, anni66, Mary and 19 others like this.
  19. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    In itself the absence of quotes suggests the book is poor in that it doesn't cover some of the basics for bias in measurements. I do wonder if he really doesn't understand the arguments but I do find that hard to believe of someone in his position. But then people who are good at politics can do very well in academia (and business) even when they have no clue.

20. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Save PR. Sack the President of the Board.

Just rather rashly clicked on this - message - access blocked... high court... (can't remember the rest - not going back to check!)

ladycatlover and Binkie4 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.