The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Joint pain without redness or swelling

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Linus, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Linus

Linus

Some websites list joint pain without redness or swelling as one of the main symptoms of CFS(for example here. For me my fatigue is as significant of a promblem as this joint pain that I have in seven diffirent joints but surfing through this forum I didn't find many people talking about joint pain specifically without redness or swelling.

How come it's listed as a main symptom? Do a lot of you experience this?

P.s. I am new to the forum and very glad to have found it although I have no diognosis yet.

NK17 and justy like this.
  2. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

I do! It is mainly in my arms. From the shoulder down to my fingers. Cracks everywhere. It hurts, but nothing compared to the pain related to muscle cramps.

NK17 likes this.
  3. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Its also as common in things like Lyme and Co infections, Lupus, Candida, Heavy metal toxicity, certain viral and parasitic infections, etc.. . Welcome to the forum by the way!

4. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    I tend to think of pain as pain, and don't really differentiate much between joint pain and muscle pain, of which I get both. I'd imagine others are the same. Or maybe I'm talking rubbish and everyone obsesses about their joint pain in private!

Valentijn likes this.
  5. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I did.. Like deleder2k says it cracked I think it cracks because the liquid gets to viscosity. All my mucosa were to dry. None the less my pain was not in the joint but on the outside. It only happened during flareups.

6. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    Yes, my hip joints are extremely painful and I have no redness or obvious swelling. Also one thumb joint has swelling but no redness.

Medical cannabis is helping with my joint pain, muscle pain, bone pain and neuropathic pain (like fibromyalgia), and with sleep. Also seems to be helping with brain fog and muscle spasms/charlie horses, little by little. It's an anti-inflamatory so that's probably how it it helping, at least in part.

Misfit Toy likes this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I get joint pain, but it doesn't really affect my ability to function (PEM and OI are the limiting factors) so I tend to ignore it. Lots of joint cracking as well.

deleder2k likes this.
  8. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

Happens to me in bad flare ups. The hands almost everyday though.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  9. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

Joint pain is almost always present
    and definitely gets worst during flare ups, as well as muscular and neuropathic pain and aches.
    It's the myalgic part of ME ;(

10. PallasKat

PallasKat

United States
    Yes - I have joint pain in knees, wrists, hands, feet, shoulder (which gets worse when smells and perfumes don't agree with me), jaw, low back and especially neck. The joint pain moves around daily.

Sometimes, when I have a crash or flare up - everything hurts at once - it's not severe, but very exhausting.

11. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

A Shea nut butter extract called FlexNow helps my joint pain. It took a couple of weeks for me to start noticing some pain relief from it.

AZ and iHerb sell it and have user reviews. I buy a 2-month supply from the product's web site since that's the cheapest I've found for a maintenance supply.

http://www.powerofshea.com/

Little Bluestem likes this.
  12. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @perchance dreamer
    I looked at this product but couldn't see the list of ingredients. They show 4 photos but none of what's in it:(

13. perchance dreamer

Here are the ingredients. The link is on the Resources page of the web site under Supplement Facts:

[​IMG]

14. perchance dreamer

@maryb, when I wrote the above yesterday, I forgot to tag you in the message.

maryb likes this.
  15. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I have had ME for over 25 years but only developed pelvic and hip pain a year and a half ago, following a back injury. No redness, swelling, or cracking. In the past few months I have developed knee pain, which I was blaming in weight gain. :grumpy: I do not know if it is ME related.

16. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

How old are you? Maybe you could do a BMD test, a test that measures bone mass density.

17. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I'm old and I have already done that. I have osteopenia/osteoporosis. I know that makes your bones break more easily, but does it make the hurt?

18. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    In case you don't know, joint pain that moves around is symptomatic of Lyme/coinfections

19. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Doesnt also Lyme join pain differ from ME/CFS that it is swollen and red??

20. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US

See more popular forum discussions.