• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Joint pain, RSI and calcific tendinitis

Calathea

I've tried a few searches through this site but not found anything that seems to address the problems I have with my joints and thereabouts.

I get general joint pain, particularly in my elbows and shoulders, and that's been going on at an unremarkable rate for many years. An aromatherapist once asked me in tones of solemn concern, "How are your elbows?" and we then looked at each other and cracked up. That could easily be a decade ago.

Four years ago, I developed acute calcific tendinitis in my right shoulder. This is when you get calcium deposits building up gradually, at which stage they twinge occasionally, and suddenly being released, at which stage it's absolute bloody agony. That was more or less over after a very horrible month, but last summer I had a bad patch with chronic (i.e. not quite so horrific) calcific tendinitis in my left shoulder, and I still get occasional pain from it. That was eventually confirmed by xray, but I don't know if the pain I am starting to get again in my right shoulder is calcific tendinitis again or not. It's still quite mild, comparatively speaking. I have absolutely no idea why I should be getting lumps of chalk building up in my joints to start with, and haven't had much of an answer from doctors. I do at least have a gem of a physio. She was originally assigned to me for the acute calcific tendinitis, but she works so well with the ME that I make sure to get hold of her whenever I need to consult a physio.

Last summer, I also managed to develop RSI (repetitive strain injury) in my right hand due to overenthusiastic quilting, just after the tendinitis. It lasted about a month, then I gradually got back to sewing (and, I'm pleased to announce, finished the quilt on time and won the competition). Four or so months ago, I went a bit mad with a new easy quilting technique and set off the RSI again, in both hands/arms though worse on the right. This time it didn't clear up, and while aggressive resting (translation: watching so much TV on the laptop that I have long since climbed the walls with boredom and am now hovering somewhere in the upper atmosphere) has helped a certain amount, it's still very much a problem. The physio reckons that this time it is probably here to stay, which I am not remotely happy about. OK, I overdid it and should be better at pacing myself, but I don't usually get over four months of pain from quilting a bit too much over the course of less than a week, possibly only three days. I really need to be able to use my hands, both for the computer and for sewing. It's what keeps me sane.

Anyway, does anyone know more about how all of this works with ME? I'm 34, female and don't have any signs of arthritis, if that's helpful. So far all I've been able to find is "joint pain is a common symptom of ME", which isn't particularly helpful.

Googsta

Doing Well
Hi Calathea

you have my sympathy, it sounds very painful :(. I was diagnosed 11 years ago with CFS at age 24 but my first tendonitis (golf/tennis elbow) was when I was 18. I have had it recur three times. Over the past four years I have developed Bursitis & Tendonitis in both shoulders, knees & right hip. I also have Osteo Arthritis in my thoracic spine, even though I broke my lumbar spine 10 years ago it is fine. All occurred during times of increased health & stamina, and apparently from exercise & physical work (gardening).
Ultrasound guided Cortisone injections helped a little but the best improvement came when I relapsed & all my joints got a good rest. They are a daily problem though & I usually need pain releif to sleep. I find anagesic gels helpful to some extent e.g Voltaren, heat packs also help alot. But for those bad times pain releif & or anti-inflammatories are the best releif, even though they make the CFS worse :rolleyes:
I recall reading that the immune system is....having trouble finding word!...implicated in some way. Gosh, that was a struggle! I can't remember the exact inofrmation but maybe someone else can help.

p.s congrats on the quilt - well done!:thumbsup:

Annesse

Hi Calathea, I have been making some recent posts on a few threads that would explain calcific tendinitis. I believe that every symptom of ME/CFS can be traced directly to an inability to digest proteins. If you were unable to digest proteins, you would not be able to carry blood borne calcium. It is protein bound. One percent of our calcium is blood borne, but it is just as important as the other 99% that is meant for our hard tissue. It is necessary for vitamin D metabolism for instance. Soft tissue, any kind of body tissue other than bones and teeth, is a target for depositing calcium if you are unable to properly metabolize it. Here is a link to one of the threads with some more info.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?14925-The-difference-between-MS-and-ME