• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Joint Collaboration to Fund Latest CFIDS/ME Research Aimed at Assessing Disease....

*GG*

Damage

The National CFIDS Foundation, of Needham, MA, in collaboration with The Nancy Taylor Foundation for Chronic Diseases, of Tulsa, OK, have announced their latest research grant aimed at assessing disease damage in patients with CFIDS/ME utilizing advanced molecular cytogenetic technology.

Henry Heng, PhD is the recipient of a $ 133,233 research grant titled "Linking genomic instability to CFIDS/ME." Dr. Heng is an Associate Professor at the Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, MI.

Dr. Heng, who has expertise in molecular cytogenetics, genome structure and function, as well as genomic instability and cancer progression, has published extensively in this field of science.

Alan Cocchetto, NCF's Medical Director, stated that "The technology used to assess genomic instability, known as spectral karyotyping (SKY) analysis, will allow us to look for chromosomal aberrations. Though this type of advanced genomic testing has never been applied to this patient population, it should prove to be a methodical link to research that we had previously completed."

Gail Kansky, NCF's President, commented that "We are very fortunate to link up with Dr. Heng for this exciting research study. The NCF, in collaboration with the Nancy A. Taylor Foundation, have united together to work to continue to push the scientific knowledgebase of CFIDS/ME."

The Nancy A. Taylor Foundation's President, Dr. Edward Taylor, also stated that "We were very impressed by Dr. Heng's previous work evaluating genomic instability using SKY analysis in Gulf War Illness."

As a leading lab of molecular cytogenomics, Dr. Heng's group has significantly contributed to increasing our medical knowledge about cancer progression and the importance of chromosome aberrations in this process. This research study should help in evaluating whether or not this same process is applicable to CFIDS/ME.

The National CFIDS Foundation has directed $1.2 million dollars in scientific grants since forming its cutting-edge research program in 2002. Further information on this research will be in the winter edition of our newsletter. All donations to the National CFIDS Foundation may be made via our website at _www.ncf-net.org_ (http://www.ncf-net.org) or via submission to the
National CFIDS Foundation, 103 Aletha Rd., Needham, MA 02492 and 100% of every donation is used to further research unless otherwise specified by the donor.