• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Join us for a Community Symposium on the Molecular Basis of ME/CFS! Incredible opportunity!

Jesse2233

@Ben Howell @Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

This is really great!

One question: were Dr John Chia and Dr Byron Hyde invited?

Their enterovirus work has a good 30 years of past research behind it.

Enteroviruses may not be showing up in the blood / saliva / fecal samples taken in the Severely Ill study.

Dr Chia has found that the enteroviruses tend to infect stomach, heart, muscle, and brain tissue and cannot be measured by blood PCR tests.

My apologies if Ron et al have already considered this, but I thought it was worth mentioning

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Agenda

Opening Remarks – Ronald W. Davis, Stanford Genome Technology Center and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Research Center at Stanford University

Keynote Speech – Bob Naviaux, University of California, San Diego

Chris Armstrong, University of Melbourne

Jonas Bergquist, Uppsala University

Coffee break

Maureen Hanson, Cornell University

Neil McGregor, University of Melbourne

Panel Discussion – Morning Speakers

Lunch

Baldomero Olivera, Howard Hughes Medical Institute and University of Utah

Mark Davis, Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Stanford University

Alan Light, University of Utah

Coffee break

Alain Moreau, University of Montreal

Wenzhong Xiao, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School

Ronald W. Davis, Stanford University

Panel Discussion – Afternoon Speakers

Closing Remarks – Ronald W. Davis

Looking pretty good!!

B

valentinelynx

I just registered... :)

I look forward to hearing some Hope live in person!

Plus it's an opportunity to visit my old home. I grew up in the Bay Area, went to Stanford as an undergrad and lived in the Stanford area for over 20 years. Met my husband there. Anyway, it still feels like home to me.

The next challenge is to find an affordable hotel nearby...

Hope to meet some of you forum folks there!

Ben H

I just registered... :)

I look forward to hearing some Hope live in person!

Plus it's an opportunity to visit my old home. I grew up in the Bay Area, went to Stanford as an undergrad and lived in the Stanford area for over 20 years. Met my husband there. Anyway, it still feels like home to me.

The next challenge is to find an affordable hotel nearby...

Hope to meet some of you forum folks there!

Fantastic, thank you so much @valentinelynx! It is going to be quite incredible for sure.

Very cool you are going back to you 'old home' too. I think the area is absolutely beautiful, and thats only from staying there for a month :) Stunning place...that also happens to be the epicentre for some incredible research!

B

Ben H

I am going, too. I have friends and family in the area and its an easy flight for me. I feel very fortunate to be able to see the researchers speak in person.

Hope there'll be some pillows available, though!

Awesome stuff @Learner1 . I'll pass this on about the pillows (it may be sorted anyway).

B

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I would be delighted to go but i can't make it to Cali :cry:
Please come to Toronto :D

Ben H

"Meet Dr Naviaux, the keynote speaker at our Community Symposium on August 12! Dr. Naviaux is internationally known for his expertise in human genetics, inborn errors of metabolism, metabolomics, and mitochondrial diseases. He discovered the cause and created the diagnostic test for Alpers syndrome, a classical form of mitochondrial disease. He has expertise in virology and molecular and cellular biology. Dr. Naviaux also works in oceanographic ecosystems research and is the director of the first FDA-approved clinical trial to study suramin as a treatment for autism. He was trained at the NIH in tumor immunology and natural killer cell biology, and he trained at the Salk Institute in virology and gene therapy. We can't wait to hear his talk!
Register for the symposium today!"
DrNaviaux.jpg

Ben H

Meet Dr Jonas Bergquist, one of the speakers at our August 12 Community Symposium.

Dr. Bergquist is a MD-PhD and associate professor of Clinical Neuroscience at the Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Gothenburg University. Since 1999, he has been a researcher in Uppsala and in 2005 was appointed chaired professor of analytical chemistry and neurochemistry at the Department of Chemistry – BMC, Uppsala University. He is an adjunct professor of pathology at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA, and professor of precision medicine, Binzhou Med Univ, China.
IMG_1992.JPG

Register for the symposium today to hear him speak!
https://www.omf.ngo/community-symposium

neweimear

@Ben Howell, @Rose49 do you know if Dr.Davis is going to release a research update video this month, I understood that there was one planned to take place before the Symposium? Also, I live in Ireland so obviously wont be attending Symposium, can I ask if Dr.Davis has started testing FDA approved drugs on his assay just yet. It would be great to know if a start has been made on that, thanks so much for any info!

Ben H

@Ben Howell, @Rose49 do you know if Dr.Davis is going to release a research update video this month, I understood that there was one planned to take place before the Symposium? Also, I live in Ireland so obviously wont be attending Symposium, can I ask if Dr.Davis has started testing FDA approved drugs on his assay just yet. It would be great to know if a start has been made on that, thanks so much for any info!

Hi @neweimear

@Aroa has done a good job answering above. To my knowledge there is no video due to be released-the last one was fairly recent being Prof. Davis reflecting upon the IiME conference.

However the Symposium will be recorded and available on DVD from OMF, and also a livestream was being planned.

Hope that helps,

B

Ben H

Meet Dr. Maureen Hanson, one of the speakers at our August 12 Community Symposium. Dr. Hanson is the Liberty Hyde Bailey Professor in the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics at Cornell University. She previously was on the Biology faculty at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville. She holds a Ph.D. in Cell and Molecular Biology from Harvard University.
Maureen Hanson.jpg

Register for the symposium to hear her speak!
https://www.omf.ngo/community-symposium/