Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Join us for a Community Symposium on the Molecular Basis of ME/CFS! Incredible opportunity!

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ben Howell, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Ben Howell

Ben Howell OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    Hi guys,

What an amazing opportunity this is! I won't say too much as you can read details below, but this is absolutely unprecedented and an incredible opportunity if you can make it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Research Center at Stanford University
    Community Symposium on the Molecular Basis of ME/CFS
    Sponsored by Open Medicine Foundation

Saturday, August 12, 2017
    Come hear from our amazing team in person!A unique and unprecedented opportunity to learn from and interact with these world-class scientists.

[​IMG]

Visit the Community Symposium page on the OMF website for more information about these scientists.​

This exciting symposium will follow a 2-day meeting of our collaborative team of world-renowned scientists.

To date we have been able to develop a potential diagnostic and treatment assay using our new nanofabricated device on a few patients and healthy controls. We have also generated a fairly large amount of molecular data on a few patients, which has pointed to pathways that should help us understand the disease. Our collaborative team meeting will allow for in-depth scientific discussion of ME/CFS research results, and for strategizing on the best way forward for the scientific community.

At the Community Symposium, the scientists will update patients and any interested members of the public on our progress towards understanding the molecular basis of ME/CFS and our plans for the future.

Only together can we solve this incredibly complex and horrific disease.

Please register as soon as possible! Space is limited.
    We look forward to seeing you there!

[​IMG]
    Ronald W. Davis, PhD

Director, Stanford Genome Technology Center
    Director, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Research Center at Stanford University
    Director, Open Medicine Foundation Scientific Advisory Board

[​IMG]
    Linda Tannenbaum

CEO/President
    Open Medicine Foundation

EVENT DETAILS
    Where:
    PAUL BREST HALL, 555 Salvatierra Walk
    Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA

When:
    Saturday, August 12, 2017

Schedule:

Symposium: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Reception to follow

Cost:
    $75 per person (includes program, breakfast, lunch and reception)

Register Here.

A DVD of the conference will be available after the conference to order on the OMF website.

Wow! I'm jealous of you US folks :)

Hopefully some of you will be able to attend, or some of your family members. This is an extremely rare event, let alone in the MECFS world!

Thanks,

B

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Jennifer J, rosie26, Hanna and 54 others like this.
  2. trishrhymes

trishrhymes trishrhymes.wordpress.com

Dorset
    Excellent news. Glad to see we will be able to buy a DVD.

3. Ben Howell

U.K.
    Yes, especially for patients that are too ill to make it or for people who want a record of this historic symposium.

But to be there in person...wow!

B

4. Vicki Cole

Vicki Cole

5. Hilary

Hilary Senior Member

UK
    Hurrah and double hurrah for Ron and all his wonderful, committed colleagues. So grateful for their work and commitment.:trophy:

6. Aroa

Aroa

Spain
    What a stratosferic team :rocket:

So grateful all these brilliant scientists are willing to work together and are so committed to help us. :heart:

Edit : So grateful Ron Davis could make the impossible possible

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Jennifer J, Jan, Skycloud and 14 others like this.
  7. Hilary

Hilary Senior Member

UK
    Ah, really wish I could go....:(

8. Ben Howell

U.K.
    These would be good questions for the symposium, if you can make it :) (only Prof Davis and team could answer this).

B

9. Ben Howell

U.K.
    It's not the same experience of course, but there is a dvd of the symposium scheduled :)

B

Sea, Skycloud, MEMum and 6 others like this.
  10. Webdog

Webdog 84-91% are undiagnosed

California
    I would like to sincerely thank Dr. Davis for continuing to engage and inform the patient community. When doctors routinely discredit and dismiss us, your outreach efforts are even more appreciated.

Orla, Jan, Janice Hargreaves and 26 others like this.
  11. sdmcvicar

sdmcvicar

Done. I look forward to some interesting discussions!

Skycloud, mango, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  12. Ben Howell

U.K.
    Awesome-you will be in for a treat!

B

MEMum and Janet Dafoe (Rose49) like this.
  13. sdmcvicar

sdmcvicar

Interesting that Neil McGregor will be coming in all the way from Melbourne. I missed getting a chance to meet him years ago when I was interviewing with Tim Roberts and Hugh Dunstan to join their lab in Newcastle, AU.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Sea, MEMum and ukxmrv like this.
  14. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I am unclear if all of the experts listed are actually attending/presenting. My understanding is that some people are listed who were invited, but are unable to attend.... I hope @Ben Howell, @Janet Dafoe (Rose49), (others?) can clarify.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Barry53, TreePerson and MEMum like this.
  15. Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Janet Dafoe (Rose49) Board Member

These are people invited but not all confirmed. We expect most of them are coming. People we know can't come are not listed. We will update the list on the OMF website.

16. Jill

Jill Senior Member

Auckland, NZ
    Wow how exciting!! Gosh how doe this this man do so much.... Actually I know - I have a father who was like this, but heck this is awesome!! Its my Dads birthday on the 12th so will definitely be thinking of you all. I wish I could come, hmmmmmm

Barry53, MEMum, Mary and 3 others like this.
  17. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Good publicity for the illness. Hopefully this will be widely reported on by the media. We need society to take this illness more seriously.

Jan, Barry53, Skycloud and 4 others like this.
  18. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I don't see Nancy Klimas from NOVA if there is somebody else representing them I might of missed it.
    2) Anything we can do to help invite the media? This is such a great opportunity for education and update to the press.
    3) Anything we can do to set up a live video or record that day for us that cannot travel?\

So glad to see Dr Rowe in here !!!! I am staying thanking to OI meds, I think OI is a huge part of CFS. GREAT call!!!

MEMum likes this.
  19. Jill

Jill Senior Member

Auckland, NZ
    I can't help feeling very curious as to why this meeting is happening so quickly on the heels of the invest in ME conference of the same layout. Maybe they all realised they had way more to discuss and decided to organise another event, or maybe they have something to say.... Either ways its all good.
    I've actually been to Stanford. I came to San Francisco for our National organisation back in about 1998 . I stayed on with Peter Snow of 'Tapanui Flu' fame ( he let me kip on his floor for a few nights and we looked around the city together. He was a thoroughly lovely country GP who used to host american trainee doctors down in small town Tapanui. One such student then went on to work at Stanford and she came and collected us and did an evening tour of the campus and took us out for a meal. It is a super nice campus. I would so love to come over to get out of our awful NZ winter. The only thing is that at that time my folks are going to Rarotonga and I'm in charge of my v old jack russell. I would have someone to stay with in San Fran, so I shall see......

Jo Best and RL_sparky like this.
  20. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I would say something like this has been in planning for a bit of time.

I imagine the OMF have a lot to say about everything they have been doing for the past year or so. We have really only heard tidbits so far.

At other conferences they probably only have limited time to discuss what they have been doing, maybe by organising their own conference they can discuss more of their own work.
    The severely Ill big data study results should be available now and maybe this is a way to communicate these directly.
    I'm guessing.

Also, by having this in Stanford it's another way of spreading the word and hopefully or potentially attracting a new audience.

Orla, Jo Best, Jan and 7 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.