• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Joe Cohen self hacked

Lipac

I found an old thread that was closed, so will ask again.

Is anyone actively using Joseph Cohen's Self Hacked site, e-books , subscriptions, group memberships etc?
Positive results?
Not applicable in true CFS?
Etc.

Before I found this, Self hacked was my GioTo for New ideas/info since finding it in 2015.

I was getting into genomics, methylation, lectin intolerance, histamine intolerance., Et Al.
It was the only place I found info that I could bounce off my ( very smart) ND.

3 years on, I'm not using it as much; though it is still helpful ( in spite of a lot of new marketing- even money to find him a girlfriend? Huh? Lol)

I used his 23nMe raw data service, Self Decode- I hope it's accurate.
( Feedback on this?)

Any experience with his site?

( please, Not just opinions about people who charge for products/time.. who doesn't? My excellent functional medicine Dr was $450/hr just to talk, in 2010...)

I've given up on the idea of " curing" my CFS like he was able to.
I'd be worse if I didn't follow many of his suggestions, though.

* I'm just wondering how much of his immunology really applies to CFS.

I have a science and a medical degree ; and I like genetics and immunology.

The vast amount of info though makes my brain tired!
I don't want to waste time on Immunology that runs counter / doesn't apply to CFS.

For years, I've been focused on Second stage Lynne Disease.. with some reading on FM in the early days.

I avoided " CFS", as it was such a " wastebasket diagnosis", an easy-out for Drs in 2000, and put down to a type of hypochondriasis/depression.

Now, I'm classically CFS.
Neurological symptoms are under control, fatigue isn't.
Viruses are re-emerging...

Just wondering how many people use Self Hacked, have the books, had success with his Insomnia Treatments, fatigue recommendations, or gained insight?

Hip

Just wondering how many people use Self Hacked, have the books, had success with his Insomnia Treatments, fatigue recommendations, or gained insight?

That's the sort of information that should be on the SelfHacked website. If someone is promoting treatments, if they are scientific, they ought to be keeping tabs of the success rate of their treatments and making this information available, as some of the ME/CFS doctors do.

HowToEscape?

That's the sort of information that should be on the SelfHacked website. If someone is promoting treatments, if they are scientific, they ought to be keeping tabs of the success rate of their treatments and making this information available, as some of the ME/CFS doctors do.

Science does not live on the nternet, duh innernet is where science goes to die.

Yes I know actual articles from actual journals are somewhat available, but by volume they’re minuscule, and it’s beyond the ability of most of us to read them and especially to evaluate their significance.

Entire industries build themselves on finding or creating obscure studies that can be cited as evidence for some supplement or scamcebo system. For an egrgious example, promotions muscle building supplements for bodybuilders typically cite some study showing that they have the secret ingredient to make you look like the steroid specimen on the magazine cover. The study is typically sponsored by the supplement company, and doesn’t actually mean that taking the supplement will give you a unique benefit. But of course nobody who reads the ad actually reads through the whole study, and then evaluate its significance. The whole thing gets confounded because some of those supplements actually do have steroids or designer steroid mimicking substances mixed in and not to clear it on the label.

Lipac

I guess I don't understand the answer.
He doesn't keep stats.
I haven't seen any health and wellness sites that do, come to think of it.

I simply wondered if this is a sure any in here have found helpful.
It's not in competition with this one, as far as I can tell.

Hip

He doesn't keep stats.
I haven't seen any health and wellness sites that do, come to think of it.

It's in part a website, but Joseph Cohen actually treats patients, so should have an idea of how often his treatments help, and to what degree they do help.

My own approach to trying to alleviate my ME/CFS, over the last 12 years that I have had this illness, follows the sort of random experimentation and half educated guesses that you find on the SelfHacked website. Have I had any success? Yes, I have found supplements or drugs that help, but it took a lot of random experimentation with literally hundreds of different supplements and drugs over many years in order to find these helpful treatments. 99% of things I tried did not help.

So in my experience, the approach can yield results, but only if you totally dedicate yourself to lots and lots of experimentation.

Have you looked at the standard ME/CFS treatments used by ME/CFS doctors? Antiviral drugs, immunomodulators, and treatments like low-dose naltrexone? These have a proven track record of helping.

ebethc

sadly, it's all hypothesis -> recommendation... Agreed that it would be great to see followup and analysis.. Alas, a product opportunity for someone else :)