1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

JIM: Van der Meer and Lloyd Critique International Consensus Criteria ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I will be honest Ember and say that I was also (still am) confused about this one. When the criteria were first published and following all the discourse it prompted, I am still left wondering if some people think it is intended to replace CFS with ME entirely, or only those who meet the criteria leaving X number of people with CFS. I had thought that ICCME would simply tighten up on CCC ME/CFS, but if it 'creates' a distinct disease entity then what of the CCC for ME/CFS I wonder?

Broderick also - in his letter - was not exactly confident with the name Myalgic Encephalomyelitis if I recall correctly. It would seem that had they been another option, another name, that perhaps better reflected the condition as he and the others view it and which was similarly recognised by WHO; it might have been chosen instead. It appears almost the case that CFS as a name is crap and ME as a name is a bit better.

I think the nomenclature will remain a key weakness in any continuing debate and critique. Until and unless research is properly geared to examining patients and confirms the presence of inflammation but even then the terms themselves are not wholly exclusive. Maybe the problem lies with the WHO? Radical perhaps but what if WHO put CFS alongside or linked to ME?

I will read both letters in full myself as soon as I can. I have though read your exchanges. And 'liked' your comments too. Thanks.

2. Ember

Ember Senior Member

The difference is that you aren't the CEO of the CAA and spokesperson for Research1st, Firestormm. You're allowed not to have read the letters yet.

Why hasn't Kim McCleary contacted the authors of the ICC if she needs clarification? I peppered Dr. Carruthers with my questions both before and after his presentation at the MEFM Society of BC's AGM. And I'm not paid to understand and communicate these things.
    '
    By the way, if you're referring in your post to the names given our disease, you're right in assuming that the terms are not wholly exclusive as they're being used. Dr. Carruthers called ME a form of CFS (and he was happy for me to quote him}.

3. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Thanks. You are quite right. I don't think - as I have said before - many (anyone?) in positions of 'authority' have really given much time to analysing and understanding the ICCME or critiquing it - or to accepting that it is 'real'.

Hopefully, this might prompt them to do so. Now the Norwegian's appear to have adopted these criteria in preference to anything else - and presumably the name too - surely others will 'wake up and smell the coffee'? Not that I can understand the Norwegian decision though...

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

In the main ICD-10 from the early 90s, CFS is linked to G93;3. The more recent debate was about the US version of ICD-10 - they are a bit behind!

5. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I wonder if (having read Cort's latest) that the NIH recognising ME/CFS i.e. synonymously is seen as helping the situation or confusing it even more?

As I said in my reply to Cort - there was a time when this recognition would have been welcomed warmly I would have thought but am now not so sure.

Still, I shall look forward to following the debates on ICCME and CCC and how they will all fit together with the other criteria (or replace them) for research and/or clinical diagnoses.

6. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    This may or may not be relevant, but the CAA's Suzanne Vernon co-authored a 2009 paper that concluded
    so perhaps the CAA thinks there is nothing but "CFS" out there.

I hope this will be put to the test with research.

taniaaust1 likes this.
  7. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Perhaps the NIH recognising ME as being synonymous with CFS will be deemed sufficient? Appears to be the case over here at any rate.

8. Ember

Ember Senior Member

I'm not sure that's what is implied, Firestormm, i.e., that the NIH is necessarily "recognizing ME as being synonymous with CFS." I've responded to you and to Cort on his thread (see posts #25 and #26 http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...-The-NIH-on-ME-CFS-in-201&p=236882#post236882).

9. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    The editorial claims that:
    However, it turns out that this paper doesn't include the relevant analysis to support these claims. Actually, it seems this analysis was done and included in an earlier draft of the paper, but the analysis contradicts the authors claims, which might explain why it was omitted from the final version.

Dolphin likes this.
  10. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Thanks for unearthing this apparent deception.

As far as I can see, the van der Meer and Lloyd critique misrepresents the ICC in claiming that its authors seek to 'abolish' CFS (!) and discard the findings in published studies that have applied the existing international criteria, if the results do not fit with their notions of causation. CBT is the example they use: If a study shows that CBT is effective, these authors suggest that the study actually included patients with psychiatric disorders, and not ME; hence, the positive results can be ignored.

It's true that the ICC criticizes the Oxford criteria for being broadly inclusive and that it ignores the PACE trial results (their being outside the scope of its discussion). But wasn't it the PACE trial authors themselves who admitted to not studying ME?

Are the Oxford criteria considered international? (I hadn't assumed that its participants comprised an international body.) In an editorial on diagnostic criteria, slipping between so-called existing international criteria as if they were equal seems disingenuous.

Earlier in the editorial, Van der Meer and Lloyd refer to an approach that has already been proposed and applied [25], in relation to the existing international criteria [26]. The approach they cite involves the validation of the Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory (MFI-20), a 20-item self-report questionnaire produced in the Netherlands. Its application to Fukuda (also cited) isn't explained.

Van der Meer and Lloyd's claim that their concern is for scientific credibility: We fear that with the publication of this report, that both the clinical and research agendas in relation to CFS will lose their credible scientific base, via introduction of yet another diagnostic criteria set. Yet both letters allude to selective ignorance. Van der Meer and Lloyd accuse the ICC authors of ignoring the fact that inflammation (-itis) has not convincingly been demonstrated in any organ [28]. Broderick counters that there is simply too much evidence of pathophysiologic neurological and immune dysregulation, immune activation and an imbalance between inflammatory and anti-inflammatory mediators to be ignored [3256].

Without being an answer in itself, perhaps the ICC will prove to be a means of finding one.

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

What they're talking about is the (so-called) empirical criteria (Reeves et al., 2005) which are a (badly) operationalized version of the Fukuda criteria.

The Fukuda criteria for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome require somebody to have fatigue.

The (so-called) empirical criteria (Reeves et al., 2005) "operationalize" this as:

12. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Thanks, Dolphin. I would have expected them to cite Reeves. The original MFI-20 article (rather than the validation paper) is cited by Reeves et al., 2005, so that must explain their reference to the validation paper here, as you suggest.

13. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    That's well put.

14. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Interesting how this worked out. The critique of the ICC allowed committee to respond. And in so doing they were able to make their position even stronger. With what is there now, I think I can do a follow up on some activism I was doing elsewhere.

Nielk likes this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Sorry for bumping this... but the hilarity of this paragraph keeps catching me, especially for those of us who know the background.

(Drat - I just had a long post deleted! Not sure how or why. Will stop this now.)

PS: Any news on if any of the authors of the PACE letters have got in contact about their legitimate concerns being classed as unscientific or personal attacks?

16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think nomeclature is a problem and will continue to be. Without clearly validated biomarkers we have few options. When we have such markers, and a clear pathophysiological mechanism is implicated, there will be a definitive name change. Any label we use at present is only temporary ... but temporary could be a long time.

Bye, Alex

17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That reminds me, Tom Kindlon said that he had sent a letter to both the authors, but never received a reply:

Wildcat likes this.
  18. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that CBT/GET apologists don't usually respond when they are called on their statements. :p

Wildcat likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.