Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

JHP Editorial: Special Issue on the PACE Trial

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Cheesus, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1359105317722370

I was going to quote the best bits to share, but it is fairly short and is all so good that I recommend you just read it.

And the index of the special issue, which I believe we are all well familiar with at this stage: http://journals.sagepub.com/toc/hpqa/current

2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Luther Blissett, Mary and MEMum like this.
  3. adreno

adreno PR activist

It looks impressive. Good job, everyone. Now let's hope anyone in power actually cares enough about the science to read it.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

5. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Just re-read @Keith Geraghty 's PACE-Gate editorial, with a bit more understanding under my belt than originally. It really is very good, and set the stage well for the other publications which followed.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

7. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    I think he maybe deserves a complementary copy of the JHP special edition :). Without his courageous efforts it, and all that underpins it, could never have happened.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

9. andrew p

andrew p

10. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
  11. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That's a strong editorial. Fair to say he has been converted to the anti-PACE side.

Personally, I'd have liked to see some more low quality pro-PACE pieces in there, just to balance things out.

15. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    Saying it like it is. Thank you David Marks.

16. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    This is rather telling:
    "Before submitting their reply, Professors Peter White, Trudie Chalder and Michael Sharpe wrote to me as co-principal investigators of the PACE trial to seek a retraction of sections of Geraghty’s paper, a declaration of conflicts of interest (COI) by Keith Geraghty on the grounds that he suffers from ME/CFS, and publication of their response without peer review (White et al., 4 November 2016, email to David F Marks)."​
    Usually, you'd expect a person who suffers from a disease to support a research trial, but in this case it's a conflict of interest.

Hilary, Cornishbird, Mel9 and 15 others like this.
  17. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    In that regard at least, the PACE authors have maybe realised the importance of stopping digging, given the deep hole they have already dug for themselves.

18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

The Times article provides some interesting detail, and at least it does not take sides.

I was surprised to hear that Davey Smith was on the board of a psychology journal. What was he doing there? Presumably in the past he was seen as a chap with strong opinions he was not afraid to share and maybe a reputation for sweeping out the cobwebs of the establishment. But I can see that he had found himself in a very uncomfortable position being on the board of a journal producing an issue likely to incense all the people he was hoping would provide millions of pounds for the MEGA project with Esther Crawley.

What is so shocking about this is, as David Marks has said, the contempt for patients. Personal interest sweeps away any consideration of truth that might be relevant to the well being of ill people. Davey Smith must have the intelligence to see that the PACE design fails at the first fence, but he prefers not to.

Hilary, Cornishbird, Mel9 and 37 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Plus just a personal empire-building indulgence for some academic psychiatrists.

PACE is regarded as too big to fail. Far too much money, and far too many egos, careers, and empires depend on it not failing. Or at least, not being seen to fail.

20. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    This needs repeating. Especially for the benefit of those patient charities which still persist in being part of the CMRC.

See more popular forum discussions.