1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Jason's Latest Paper on the Reeves / Empiric Criteria: Use of SF-36 Subsets

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Anika, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I've come across sympathetic psychologists in my reading. Ellen Goudsmit is one who comes to mind (even if we don't see eye-to-eye on everything and have had a few tiffs in our time).

Both LJ and EG are both patients as well of course.

I think I've come across more sympathetic psychologists than psychiatrists: in case anyone doesn't know the different, a psychiatrist is somebody who is a qualified doctor (has a medical degree) who then goes on to do exams to be qualified as a psychiatrist. A psychologist doesn't have a medical degree (unless they do!).

2. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Wow, does Lenny Jason have CFS - how does he hold down that day job!? I'm even more impressed.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Another good one

Eleanor Stein, MD, FRCP(C), "Assessment and Treatment of Patients with ME/CFS: Clinical Guidelines for Psychiatrists"

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

She's also somebody who has/had ME/CFS. Anyone notice a pattern?

6. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for the info in LJ

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Thanks for the Dr Jason interview link.

I would actually say that a psychiatrist is a medical practitioner (can prescribe drugs), whereas a psychologist is a real doctor (since they require scientific qualifications) in the doctorate sense (to research and teach). ;)

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Certainly in Ireland, lots (probably most) psychologists don't have Ph.Ds. Possibly/probably most who research and teach do, I don't know.

9. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

In practice they're not much different: both full of crap. Both should be avoided and not given any positive reinforcement.

See more popular forum discussions.