1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Jason: Frequency and content analysis of CFS in medical textbooks

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by shrewsbury, May 20, 2010.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Fred Springfield to CO-CURE today

Frequency and content analysis of CFS in medical textbooks

Journal: Australian Journal of Primary Health, 16, 174-178.

Jason, L.A., Paavola, E., Porter, N., & Morello, M. (2010).

Affiliation: DePaul University, Center for Community Research, 990 W. Fullerton Avenue, Suite 3100, Chicago, IL 60614, USA. Email: <ljason@depaul.edu>

Abstract.
    Text books are a cornerstone in the training of medical staff and students, and they are an important source of references and reviews for these professionals. The objective of this study was to determine both the quantity and quality of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) information included in medical texts.

After reviewing 119 medical text books from various medical specialties, we found that 48 (40.3%) of the medical text books included information on
    CFS.

However, among the 129 527 total pages within these medical text books, the CFS content was presented on only 116.3 (0.090%) pages. Other illnesses that are less prevalent, such as multiple sclerosis and Lyme disease, were more frequently represented in medical text books.

These findings suggest that the topic of CFS is underreported in published medical text books.

2. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    so quantity of info is lacking, but what about quality......how many of those texts actually have accurate info in them? I'm betting probably near zero

if they are all writing about GET/CBT etc, the less published the better (of course I'd love to see quality AND quantity)

3. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    I have access to nine online medical textbooks currently being sold. Here are three of the texts.

4. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    Here is another one.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Good point, Tammie.

Here is some info from the paper:
    [​IMG]

I'd be particularly worried about psychiatric textbooks in which they feature a bit:
    [​IMG]

6. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    well, I just skimmed the actual text and looked thru the charts, and am extremely exhausted and foggy, so I might have missed somethign, but from what i read.....UGH!

7. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Haven't read the paper yet but my concerns would be around not discussing harm of GET and also the prognosis of CFS (which are still written in such a way in many texts that the majority of us will recover within a few months-years).

Also, gracenote's looking in online texts make a whole lot more sense than paper texts. Today's docs, even the older ones, use online sources much more than paper. Also, the main places they should look are things like UpToDate (which is probably the most used/ trusted online resource by docs) and the American Board of Internal Medicine board exam reviews (which docs are required to take every few years). I'll run it by Dr. Jason at some point.

WillowJ likes this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Good points.

I would have liked to have seen pacing mentioned even if it was to point out that no texts mentioned it. Similarly "energy envelope" techniques.

WillowJ likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.