1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Jason 2010: Kindling and Oxidative Stress as Contributors to ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by shrewsbury, Mar 12, 2010.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Fred Springfield posted this to co-cure today

(if: my bolds and spacing)

Kindling and Oxidative Stress as Contributors to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Journal: Journal of Behavioral and Neuroscience Research, 2009, Vo1. 7, 1-17

AuthorsL L. A. Jason [1, *], N. Porter [1], J. Herrington [1], M. Sorenson [1], & S. Kubow [2]

Affiliations:
    [1] DePaul University and
    [2] McGill University
    [*] Corresponding author: DePaul University, Center for Community Research, 990 W. Fullerton Ave., Chicago, Il. 60614.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is one of the more complex illnesses involving multiple systems within the body. Onset of ME/CFS frequently occurs quickly, and many patients report a prior exposure to a viral infection. This debilitating illness can affect
    the immune​
    neuroendocrine​
    autonomic,​
    and neurologic systems. ​

Abnormal biological findings among some patients have included
    aberrant ion transport and ion channel activity, ​
    cortisol deficiency, ​
    sympathetic nervous system hyperactivity, ​
    EEG spike waves, ​
    left ventricular dysfunction in the heart, ​
    low natural killer cell cytotoxicity, ​
    and a shift from Th1 to Th2 cytokines. ​

We propose that the kindling and oxidative stress theories provide a heuristic template for better understanding the at times conflicting findings regarding the etiology and pathophysiology of this illness.

Key Terms: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Kindling, Oxidative Stress

[Note: The full text of this article is available for free in PDF at
    http://strose.edu/academics/academi...roscienceresearch/journalcontents/article3255
    -

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Interesting paper.

I found some of the reviews of areas useful e.g. neurology where I can get confused or have difficulty keeping up with the results.

A couple of small corrections/points:
    (I) Technically, although de Lange et al (2008) claimed their study showed that CBT increases grey matter volume, they did not have a CFS control group so the results could simply be due to the passage of time in people with CFS (there might be a big drop at the start of the illness and then the brain gradually recovers). Two letters making this point were published (Bramsen, 2009 and Kindlon, 2009).

(II) Vollmer-Conna (2008): they do not explain well what was found in the study. This study related to cytokine polymorphisms (i.e. genetic/inherited factors) but they don't say this. Here is the abstract of the study:

See more popular forum discussions.