• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jarred Young at Birmingham. Alabama needs female healthy controls for FM study (free alcohol!)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
In an email today:

Jarred Younger said:
We are currently conducting a research study at UAB and are recruiting healthy women who were born in 1961-1963 or 1974-1976, and are under 56 years of age.

This research study aims to better understand how alcohol affects the immune system in people with fibromyalgia.

We will ask you to drink a small amount of alcohol so that we can assess its effect on markers of immune activity.

You will be asked to come to UAB 3 times over 3 weeks. There will be 1 telephone screening, 1 eligibility screening, 1 experimental session & 1 follow-up session. If you are eligible to participate in this study, you will be compensated up to $350. ($25/eligibility screen; $300/experimental session; $25/follow up session).

Participants must be: female; healthy; aged 55 or less and born in 1961-1963 or 1974-1976; not pregnant or currently planning to become pregnant; without any significant medical conditions such as heart disease; not using any opioid medication or have a history of alcohol dependence. To find out more about this study, please call 205-530-8006 or email youngerlab@uab.edu.

Thanks,

Jarred Younger

aimossy

Think it is vodka shots if I remember what I was heard correctly on the Q and A video.

aimossy

OOps I did a weird sentence there @Valentijn I meant if I remember what I heard correctly on the video.
Haha! We would probably fail any cog testing that was decent even without the alcohol, even possibly walking in a straight line sometimes! I would, mind you there is always the before and after comparisons. I cant remember exactly what they would measure and not sure if they did say what would be measured.

ME/CFS drinking games... imagine the carnage.

Last edited:

rosie26

Shouts "free alcohol!"

*no one with ME lines up*
:D Yes, I wouldn't be delirious with excitement for free alcohol. Once upon a time though...

I get given a bottle of wine from time to time at Christmas and it sits in the corner of the room for years. I should give it away.