When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Japanese forest bathing

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by urbantravels, Jan 14, 2011.

1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    I just read about this in Landscape Architecture magazine, a weekly missive I still get from my former career.

I'm not sure if this link will work, but I quoted the relevant bits above.

http://www.zinio.com/pages/LandscapeArchitecture/Jan-11/416152063/pg-24

2. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    Thanks, Urbantravels--a lovely and simple idea--maybe connected with that "Earthing" thread; the link took me to the magazine, but I could not find a quick way to that particular section, so gave up. But the simplest and most agreeable way of raising NK cell count I have come across, though curcumin and high alpha whey are up there too. I gather, however, that our real problem is not so much the NK count as NK function or cytotoxicity, and I wonder if those tree oils work on that too? In any case, a slow relaxed walk in the forest can't but be good for our total selves. Best, Chris

3. sensing progress

sensing progress Senior Member

Tucson, AZ
    I thought there were going to be actual bathtubs involved. Either way, I'd give it a try.

4. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Beautiful idea, urbantravels.

I lie in bed and fantasize about returning to one of the few tracts of old growth forest in the state, Dysart Woods.

5. SueJohnPat

SueJohnPat Sue

Medford NJ
    I know this is an old thread . Over the summer we sold our home. I had strongly suspected it contained some kind of toxic mold. We left out possess behind. We bought a “new “ house. Built in 1946 solid wood well built and drafty which is what I wanted. We are adjacent to A large State forest.

My cfs functioning went from a five to about an 8 over this summer. I was camping and felt well as long I was not exposed to my old possessionsIn the fall my functioning went down again . I did much better sleeping on an outside porch. Over the last week or so it has been really cold and I slept inside. I think I need to live outside.

Since Christmas I have really been struggling. Yesterday I could hardly do anything meant to sleep outside but really badly brain fogged. Tried to move around but had malaise and cognitively impaired . When I get like this I can’t use the phone and sometimes have trouble speaking. Not as bad as in my old home but still.

Today I forced myself to bundle up and drove to the forest. After about 20 minutes of hiking ( I don’t have bad oi problem s or paralysis) I felt great. I could barely move at home, I ran into a woman walking her dog . I was very excited about feeling so well and she told me about forest bathing.

This to me was like a miracle. My new job is going to be going to the forest everyday no matter what the weather..
    I have been detoxing and have been in a remission mode before while in Death Valley and this summer. It was 20 degrees. To forest bathe you don’t have to hike . You can just sit there. The Japanese have done studies and is showed it increased natural killer cells helped mood and lowered blood pressure and calmed the flight or fight response. I did not meditate or do anything but hike because I am fortunately able to do this now.. . I am not a strong believer in the whole brain retraining philosophy,

Just putting this out there.. I am a convert. Will be forest bathing regularly.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. i-lava-u

i-lava-u Senior Member

Utah, USA
  7. SueJohnPat

SueJohnPat Sue

Medford NJ
    This just speaks to me.; It makes total sense that it would help cfs. We live about a 10 minute drive away.from Wharton State Forest. I agree about not trying to it it artificially. Part of it could be lowering toxic load. Also nature is too complex we need to preserve as an essential resource..

I am dragging my husband ( who has anxiety/ depression that has not responded to drugs) this weekend.

Thank you for this video.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Jesse2233 likes this.
  8. i-lava-u

i-lava-u Senior Member

Utah, USA
    happy to share :)
    nature is very healing for me also.
    Best wishes for you and your husband, that you may both benefit from your adventure this weekend!

SueJohnPat likes this.
  9. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Moderator

Japan
    Yeah, it works that way too. ;)
    1381510801000.jpg

i-lava-u and SueJohnPat like this.
  10. TrialAndError

TrialAndError

Last year, one of the hikers in my group said that her eye problems (from laser eye surgery, many years ago) rendered her unable to work, or drive, at times. The only cures were some eye drops (not very effective) and walking in a forest. Apparently, there are some molecules given off that helped her health.

However, be aware of chiggers, oak mites falling, and ticks -- Lyme disease, Bartonella, Rickettsia, etc.

If I hadn't gone hiking, I would be in this forum.

i-lava-u and SueJohnPat like this.
  11. SueJohnPat

SueJohnPat Sue

Medford NJ
    South Jersey is the capital of Lyme disease. I had some Lyme bacteria in my system according to an alternative practitioner I saw last year which I was treated for. I had multiple negative blood testing including a culture. I think if I was still living in an environment with a lot of toxic mold this would be an issue. I am of the belief that in cfs any kind of virus / bacteria is not held in check by the immune system. I have camped out and I think probably everyone in Medford has been exposed to Lyme. I consider it like Epstein Barr. I guess it is a benefit versus risk scenario. Again more research is desperately needed.

I camped out in Wharton State Forest over the summer. My own personal experience is that I am reactive to mold. I am stuck in South Jersey for now ( my kids and husband) and feel that this is as close to clear as I can get.
    I know there are risks in spending time in the forest but fir me now the benefits outweigh them. For now I am pretty bundled up , I wear long pants , hat long sleeves.

i-lava-u likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.