The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

James Coyne suspending his editorial activies on PLOS One because of failure of data-sharing policy

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Good to see James Coyne back to doing what he does best:

I take this to mean that he's addressing this as a general issue that scientists should pile onto, regardless of what they think about PACE in particular.

But if the data-sharing policy is enforced, the PACE authors must either share the data with Coyne or have their paper retracted. It was November when he asked for the data.

He did some time ago mention the idea of organising a general strike of the thousands of PLOS One editors. Maybe this is it.

2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

3. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Seems to refer to this paper: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0140212

whose authors declare no competing interests. If I'm reading things right, it seems that at least one of the authors is an administrator of the program (3RP) being evaluated. Just a teensy weensy conflict, then.

barbc56, Woolie, JaneH and 3 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Maybe I've misunderstood what he's doing, then. Anyway, sounds as though he's going to make it all very clear! I foresee a blog post.

barbc56, JaneH, Simon and 2 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Its great, looks like Coyne is really taking a stand against PlosONE, and instances were they fail to hold to their policies (including PACE). Whatever your feelings on recent events involving Coyne and patients, you will have to admit, after reading this: the world needs whistleblowers like Coyne. People who are not afraid to speak out on dodgy practices in research.

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Definitely. You cannot have too many whistleblowers in today's world.

See more popular forum discussions.