May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

James Coyne: "Half year passes without release of PLOS One PACE trial data"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, May 9, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    He is suggesting PLOSone should declare a deadline for release of data or the paper should be retracted.

justy, julieduzyoga, PennyIA and 16 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn, Justin30 and ukxmrv like this.
  4. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Yeah i don't understand that bit :
    So in order to get data someone must pre register and state what they are going to analyse ? Or as part of the data release it will already be agreed how and who is going to review it ?

Does anyone know what this means ?

actup and Asa like this.
  5. Asa

Asa Senior Member

If you provide smoke and mirrors to our liking, we'll release data of our choosing? (PACE is like beer goggles for data!)

Orla, Valentijn, justy and 4 others like this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I think it means you've got to tell the PACE authors how you plan to analyse their data before they'll give you permission to access the data. Totally unacceptable, IMO.

7. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Presumably they'd find the answer "properly" unacceptable?

8. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

God, they get on my nerves. In that scenario they would never release the data on how the supposedly "recovered" did on the stept test e.g.

So screw that, they are going to release everything. Can`t believe this is even an issue.

Sean, Battery Muncher, BurnA and 2 others like this.
  9. Hilary

Hilary Senior Member

UK
    As I understand it, the paper was published in PLOS on condition that, if requested, the authors would release the data. How can they then be allowed retrospectively to apply conditions to that release?? All wrong.

10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Sure. Preregister the plan of analysis with a third party and don't let the original authors see it or have a veto over it.

Valentijn and Sean like this.
  11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

What genuinely independent third party is there?

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Daisymay and Mrs Sowester like this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Data from other trials on PLOS One are available to everyone with no preconditions or restrictions. It's too late to expect a prespecified set of analyses to protect against bias in PACE: there's too much summary data on the trial already in the public domain.

Time to set the data free and judge any reanalysis/new analysis on its merits, including the influence of post-hocness.

13. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yeah. Nah.

Release the data in full to whomever asks for it, or refuse to release anything to anybody and have the paper retracted.

They're the only options.

The authors don't get to cherry pick favourable analysis plans. It is not their choice. That flies completely in the face of genuinely open, independent, and accountable science.

Alternative analyses should stand or fall on their own merit, independent of what the original authors/data generators want or believe.

This bargaining tactic is bullshit, and is not what the authors knowingly and willingly signed up to when choosing to publish in PLOS.

PLOS better not compromise on this one. There is a fundamental principle at stake here, with implications way beyond just the CFS/ME world.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Skycloud, ballard, Daisymay and 11 others like this.
  14. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

If they stand behind there PACE study then there is no reason to withhold data...or play games as this appears to be...

15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Exactly. If their data is so solid and convincing, then should be happy for anybody to see it (appropriately anonymised, of course).

Justin30 likes this.
  16. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

It would be disappointing if PLoS bent over for QMUL lawyers on this issue. It would defeat the whole purpose of their publishing model which is supposed to be an open & transparent alternative to the traditional secretive ivory tower approach of the Lancet et al.

Asa, GreyOwl, Daisymay and 9 others like this.
  17. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Yes.....But do you not feel a certain a certain anticipation at the prospect of JC's blog which would follow such a decision? There seems already to be a feeling that the world is not what he thought it to be.

Justin30, Webdog, Sidereal and 4 others like this.
  18. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

This is the kind of "agreement" the Chinese government would be proud of.

Communist science from the ministry of truth, hurrah for the scientific method.

Solstice, adreno, GreyOwl and 4 others like this.
  19. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    Err... didn't the pace authors change their plan of analysis partway through the trial? Maybe they took out a patent on that so nobody else is allowed to do it now :rofl:

In reality I don't think this is an issue though. Once the data is released it can be analyzed however people want

Cheshire, BurnA, Ritto and 2 others like this.
  20. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

yeah its hard to see how full data release wouldnt lead to all sorts of analysing despite what might have been agreed.

Its not like they can say - despite your analysis revealing fundamental flaws leading to erroneous results, your analysis is not allowed under the agreement, sorry.

Sean, Esther12, mango and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.