• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

James Coyne:BMJ Rapid Responses (RR), PubMed Commons & Blogging:Why I said no to revising my BMJ RR

Dolphin

Perhaps of interest to the odd person who writes e-letters. James Coyne is a distinguished, but renegade, psychologist. He explains why he has decided not to agree to the change(s) to this BMJ Rapid Response (e-letter) submission suggested by Sharon of the BMJ:

http://jcoynester.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/bmj-rapid-responses-pubmed-commons-and-blogging/

BMJ Rapid Responses, PubMed Commons, and Blogging

Why I said no to revising my submission to BMJ Rapid Response

Note that only people who have one or more entries in PubMed can make posts in PubMed Commons. However, one letter to the editor can be sufficient.

Has he got angrier recently?

He seems more 'militant' than pretty much all the angry CFS stuff I see (not saying much, but still...) - you probably get away with a lot more when you're inside the system rather than a 'patient' who is meant to gratefully take what you're given.

Last edited:

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
An interesting and clever, but cheeky and politically incorrect, response. LOL Esther12, yes he does seem more frustrated than usual, and is perhaps going through a similar process that many CFS patients have gone through i.e. becoming increasingly frustrated by spin and the stonewalling encountered when attempting to correct or comment on the spin.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
JamesCoyne said:
It may seem the high ground to insist that Rapid Responses stick to the science, but it is naïve and misleading. BMJ, like Nature and Science, does not simply publish just data, and certainly not all of the data that their projects generate. The data that are presented are selective, framed, and interpreted.

Nice point.