• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jackson Laboratory Researchers Looking Into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Hartford Courant newspaper)

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
http://www.courant.com/business/hc-jackson-lab-chronic-fatigue-20160705-story.html

Opening paragraphs:
FARMINGTON — Chronic fatigue syndrome, which afflicts as many as 1 million Americans, is going under the microscope at the Jackson Laboratory as researchers look for molecular clues to the little-understood illness.

The Farmington-based genomics research center has received a five-year, $3.3 million federal grant to screen blood samples for potential immunological biomarkers of the disease, formally known as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

The results will be used to develop better diagnostic tools and personal treatments for a disease that has stymied researchers, according to National Institutes of Health Director Francis Collins said.

But here's the part that caught my eye:
Funding for research into the disease is estimated to rise to $7 million in 2017 from $5 million spent in 2012, according to the NIH.

Whoa, only a $2 million rise for 2017? :nervous: Can anyone confirm or deny those numbers?

If the paltry $2 million increase is confirmed then maybe this needs a new thread? But I'm really hoping that someone will say, don't worry, the reporter got his figures wrong.

I did not expect NIH funding for ME/CFS to rise to parity (e.g., $250 million) in a single year. I did expect the rise to be more than that. :(:aghhh:

Riley

I don't think anybody knows the figure yet. Maybe the reporter is basing his estimate on grants that are already secured.