Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IVIG/SCIG Inhibits T-cell Activation.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ema, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Curious how inhibition of T cells would manifest in real life...would reduction of these cytokines be why high dose IVIG often helps with autoimmune disease?

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    This also shows that SCIG is as effective as IVig so much fewer problems.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I may be wrong but I think this study is probably crazy.
    They say they gave IVIG and SCIG to T cell sin vitro. But you cannot give immunoglobulin intravenously or subcutaneously to cells in a tissue culture dish so the results have nothing whatever to do with whether you give Ig IV or SC to a patient.

It is crazy isn't it? I find it hard to believe I am reading this.

Maybe they are comparing two different preparations of Ig - that happen to be marketed for different routes. But then all they are showing is that they are pretty much the same stuff. Again it tells you nothing whatever about the advantages or disadvantages of the way you give them to patients.

The other thing that is weird is that if there are no macrophage or B cells there then there seems to be no way that the T cells could tell that this is pooled' other people's Ig' rather than Ig from the person the T cells came from. So they are not even testing the effect of allogenous Ig (IVIG and SCIG can only work if it matters that they come from someone else), they are just looking at the effect of immunoglobulin on T cells. So, since everyone has their own immunoglobulin it would not seem they are measuring anything to do with IVIG or SCIG therapy at all.

Hutan likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.