• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IV problem, swollen arm

helen1

I just had my 4th IVIG session today but the needle was inserted incorrectly it seems. It was uncomfortable the entire time but I didn't say anything silly me. When the needle was taken out we saw that my arm was quite swollen, freakishly so. The nurse was taken aback and didn't quite know what to do apart from tell me to elevate it which I've been doing. And to tell me to go to emerg if it got worse. So I went home. It's still swollen and am able to bend it more and seems to be going down a bit.

I know I know no medical advice etc but... ice? heat? light massage? And if some of the IG went into my tissues rather than my vein which it seems is what happened, what will happen to the IGs? Will I get the benefit of them? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Gingergrrl

@helen1 Can you call or page the doctor who prescribed the IVIG (or someone who might be on call for that person) and ask what you should do?

helen1

@Gingergrrl The nurse just called me and said she talked to the doctor who ordered the IV IG and he didn't have much to offer apart from elevate.

@Sushi I think I'll try ice now. Seems sensible. How long did it take yours to get back to normal? Mine is still really swollen.
thanks!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
How long did it take yours to get back to normal?
A while, I have forgotten, but certainly not the same day. I actually carry an ice block in a cooler whenever I have to give blood cause even a minor "bad needle episode" causes me bruising and pain.

Gingergrrl

@helen1 glad she reached the doctor and elevating it with ice sounds right to me. I have had bad episodes with saline IV's when in the hospital and if the line gets infiltrated (I think that was the word) or comes out of the vein the all the saline/fluid is going into the tissues so I guess that is what happened to you? Although you said it was a needle not an IV so now I am not sure!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Sounds like she tisssued the iv so its like a subcutaneous injection although usually no more than 1ml is given that way. It should slowly be absorbed in to the general circulation .

Could try a pressure bandage also??

Ice and elevating worked well for me when I had much milder versions of the same problem.

And always watch out for swelling during an IV, or between IVs if the cannula is left inserted ... though I guess you've figured that out by now :D

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Glad to hear your arm is a bit better today @helen1 , great isn't it knowing after the event. It happened to me once during an IV infusion and then the nurse said you need to tell us if you notice any swelling or discomfort in the arm WTH, why not tell me at the start.....
Do keep an eye on your symptoms though, never hurts to be aware, probably is just the after effects of the day.

helen1

Glad to hear your arm is a bit better today @helen1 , great isn't it knowing after the event. It happened to me once during an IV infusion and then the nurse said you need to tell us if you notice any swelling or discomfort in the arm WTH, why not tell me at the start.....
Do keep an eye on your symptoms though, never hurts to be aware, probably is just the after effects of the day.

Exactly! Why didn't they say anything in the past 4 months about letting them know if there was discomfort??

I wonder if my body would have seen the leaked IG as a pathogen and caused that infection response last night?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Don't know really would the skin tissues react differently to the IG, I thought it was just that you don't want the skin filling up with fluid as it then has to disperse it back into the bloodstream and it may clog things up, not sure really. nurses should at least warn us of the possibility :(

Gingergrrl

I wish I knew the answer but would definitely tell the doc you had a fever and arm still swollen. I have never had IVIG but maybe others could advise you better who have had it. Hope you feel better soon!

Kati

Patient in training
Hi @helen1, I would be more incline to put heat and alevate the arm, and moving it as much as possible. it sounds like your IV was interstitial all that time you had the infusion. Your body will gradually deal with the extra fluid in your arm through increased circulation, and that is why heat is better.

You should report to a dr should there be a worsening of your condition, increased swelling, rash or pain.

Sending best wishes.

helen1

Thanks @Kati. I've been doing both heat and ice and some movement. Still feeling sick though so not much movement but at least it's getting a bit better not worse. Baths and a sauna seem to be helping.