1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IV Magnesium is better than other forms. Why doesn't my magnesium level increase?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by JBB, Jun 15, 2014.

1. JBB

JBB

Hey guys,

As with most of us my intracellular magnesium is very low causing poor mitochondrial function.

My M.E Doc suggested doing IV magnesium. I have tried subcutaneous / transdermal / oral with no effect. I wanted to put this up here as I have not seen it mentioned elsewhere.

The reason why IV magnesium can work better than transdermal / subcutanious injections according to Dr Myhill...
    There are ion pumps which pump magnesium into the cell and calcium out of the cell. These are required to keep the cell working normally. They use roughly 40% of the cells energy just to maintain this balance. An IV gives a very quick rush of mg which cannot be replicated by other means and makes it really easy for these pumps to work as suddenly the blood concentration of mg is greatly increased. This means it is much easier for the mg to get into the cell and the pumps must use less energy vs the slower release methods!

My mg was very low at 0.57 (on mitochondria test). I had my first IV...WOW...next day I woke at 7am full of energy for most of the day!!! I thought, this is it...but noooo! Had an IV every day for a week and each time it gradually had less effect than the last till eventually it had no effect at all.

Question 1: Why did it stop having an effect?

Now I tried mg IV's nearly every day for three months. My 5ml IV of magnesium sulphate in a syringe contains about 200mg of elemental mg. So that's 200mg x 80 = about 16 grams of elemental magnesium over 3 months. It was not helping anymore by now so I gave it up. I then re-measured my mg level and it was still low at 0.61!

Question 2: Has anyone got any ideas as to why it would still be low? Am I missing an important co-factor or something (was taking boron, zinc etc at the time)? Is there a reason why it wouldn't get into the cells?

Any ideas much appreciated :).

Best wishes,

J
  2. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Maybe your levels have finally built back up? Don't think they would still be low after all that, however your potassium mght have tanked as a result since you can't get both in the system at the same time.. Don't over do it with potassium though because that can be deadly.. Just look into raising your intra cellular levels of potassium though because the two go hand and hand.
    JBB likes this.
  3. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    If your too acidic this can cause trouble absorbing magnesium into cells.
    Growth Hormone (GH) is formed in sleep and this is supposed to counteract acidosis, but most of us dont get enough of the right kind of sleep to form enough GH and the magnesium gets landed with the job and you end up with 'magnesium wasting'.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10381152?dopt=Abstract

If you are in sympathetic dominance, 'fight or flight' then you will lose magnesium at a high rate as well. which can make it hard to build up magnesium levels.

Adequate insulin is also required for magnesium absorption.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/the-insulin-magnesium-story-2

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    JBB likes this.
  4. JBB

JBB

Thanks Martial and liverock. Really appreciate both your comments.

@Martial
    Hmmm that is interesting...so your saying that due to the extreme blood levels of magnesium, potassium tanked and could be why the magnesium decreased its effectiveness? I'll have to do some research on potassium deficiency. I was taking 200mg potassium chloride for quite some time before the IV's, maybe this isn't enough?

Is it then best to build up one as much as you can then build up the other?

@liverock
    Aaaaah, *light bulb moment* Yes I am definitely in sympathetic arousal so maybe this is one of the reasons I can't hold on to the magnesium. Makes sense.

Many thanks,

J
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  5. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope

Belgium
    I've read somewhere that a deficiency of boron, b6 or copper prevents uptake of magnesium.
    JBB likes this.
  6. JBB

JBB

Yes I have read that somewhere too. Thanks for sharing :)

I have supplemented these too, but maybe I need much larger doses, so hard to tell.

Many thanks,

J
    girlfromeurope likes this.
  7. girlfromeurope

girlfromeurope

Belgium
    I think I'm having the same problem.
    I have low magnesium but supplements don't help anymore. I'm deficient in copper too but supplementing copper doesn't help the magnesium to be absorbed.
    I'm lost at what to do.
  8. JBB

JBB

Yes @girlfromeurope I think this seems to be a problem with some of us.

My Doc says that her patients always have difficulty raising the magnesium even when they are very low...and like you, I think I'm deficient in copper too even though I supplement it.

I'm inclined to think that for patients like us pumping more in is no use as it clearly doesn't stay in the cell...my experiment with magnesium shows that for me at least. I think the same is true of other important minerals.

I have noticed that my selenium, zinc and magnesium are all low despite supplementing for years...these three are particularly heavy on the immune system so my instinct points to the idea that either:
    1) Our cells cannot hold on to the minerals we give them.
    2) The immune system is going at full speed all the time using these minerals up.

In either case fixing the root cause is the solution...and that could be anyone's guess! For many I guess immune system might be the issue (infection??), for me I do wonder about sympathetic nervous system arousal as liverock suggested as it fits my case. There's always KDM in Belgium.

Best wishes,

J
    girlfromeurope likes this.
  9. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

That's my case. Injections of magnesium did not help me.
    After treatment for lyme and other infections and methylation support, my intracellular magnesium normalised without any supplementation.
    JBB likes this.
  10. JBB

JBB

Thanks, that's really interesting xrunner. It actually normalized without supplementation...amazing! Thing is I don't really suspect Lyme in my case because I was living in the middle of London at the time. So I'd be really surprised if infections are a main cause for me.

J
  11. franklestine

franklestine

Have you considered glutathione?

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/34/1/76.full

12. JBB

JBB

Thank you @franklestine. Well I have taken L-glutathione 100 mg (if I remember right) for aaaages...maybe it's not well absorbed. I'm not sure of my actual levels. That is very interesting that low glutathion impacts Mg. Thanks for pointing it out, I will have to investigate it!

Many thanks,

J
  13. franklestine

franklestine

For sure.. I'm not an expert on glutathione but sources like this suggest 100mg may be a low dose. Other forms you may want to try are liposomal glutathione or undenatured whey protein. Tell us how it goes.
  14. JBB

JBB

Hmmm ok, might try lipo then...bought a machine to make lipo vit C but never got round to doing it properly XD.

Thanks again,

J

See more popular forum discussions.