• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IV antibitoics and the gut inofrmation needed.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
So ive been told I need to have IV antibiotics for Lyme and co infections etc. I have severe bacterial translocation arising from gut permeability. Just did 3 months Rifaximin for helping sort that out.

My Dr says I cant take oral antibiotics as my gut is in too much of a mess. Having IV's means a long time away from my home and family and a lot of money. I can't find any info on line of how IV abx affect the gut. I know hey are going straight into the blood stream so technically 'by passing' the gut, but surely they are still going to kill all the bacteria in the body, including those in the gut?

Am a little confused by it all and want to make the right decision. At the moment its the next step in my treatment and if I cant do it then I may just have to give up and let the illness take its natural course.

Does anyone know anything about IV abx or can they point me in the direction of studies etc on IV abx and gut bacteria?

Thank you.

RML

I had very bad gut issues before starting any treatment. But I found with IV's, I had little to no problem with my gut. When on oral abx, my gut is so much worse. I always dread being on oral abx because of how it impacts on my gut situation and I was really glad to get a chance to take a break from them and do a second round of IV instead without worry.

That is just my personal situation and how it effected me. Everyone is different of course, I can't say whether that is always the case. I don't know of any studies done on it, hopefully someone else will be able to help you with that.

I had an interesting discussion with a ND years ago during which he stated that in school he was taught that the gut should be considered a continuation of the skin and not an internal organ. This is the reason gut infections don't typically show up in blood tests (we were talking about candida at the time). We never really discussed the "dividing line" so I don't know if the mouth, throat. stomach etc. are all treated the same and I don't know when the bile ducts become the liver/gall bladder.

So, following that logic just as IV antibiotics would not have a big effect on your skin biome they shouldn't have a big effect on your gut biome.