• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

It's Well Past Time for Unrest: Naomi Chainey

Countrygirl

http://junkee.com/unrest-film-review-chronic-fatigue/134924

It’s Well Past Time For ‘Unrest’, A Game-Changing New Doco About ME/CFS
by NAOMI CHAINEY 14 NOVEMBER 2017

The raw honesty and vulnerability they’ve been brave enough to publicly expose is heart-wrenching, but also strategic. In drawing viewers into their private dynamic — the fears, hopes, insecurities, affection, anguish — they encourage the kind of empathy that has long been conspicuously absent in how people with ME/CFS are dealt with in the public sphere.

RELATED
Getting By With "Bugger All": The Invisible Suffering Of Australians With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Jen was confined to her bed for much of the filming process but, through the magic of modern technology, she effectively networked with a broad patient community. As a result, Unrest takes an international perspective, capturing diverse personal stories.

In the film, we meet Jessica Taylor-Bearman, a young, creative British woman developing strategies to stay positive and sane while confined long-term to her bed.

Through Karina Hanson, who was forcibly institutionalised for three years (literally dragged from her family home in Denmark by authorities), we see how psychiatry’s historical appropriation of ME/CFS has resulted in the systemic mistreatment of physically vulnerable people.

IT’S LIKE HAVING THE FLU WITH A HANGOVER WHILE SOMEONE TURNS GRAVITY UP TO 100.

Through Whitney Dafoe, we see ME/CFS in its most extreme form, where eating, moving and interacting become intolerable. Whitney lies silent in a darkened room, tube-fed and wearing noise cancelling headphones to protect him from sensory stimulation which worsens his already alarming condition.