• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

itchy skin

M

michelle107

i have noticed that when im in a flare up my skin itches like hell..its worse when i get in the bath, i rip my legs to bits and when in bed, i get over heated it seems, also get a very hot and tight face,like my skins being stretched....

pollycbr125

i have noticed that when im in a flare up my skin itches like hell..its worse when i get in the bath, i rip my legs to bits and when in bed, i get over heated it seems, also get a very hot and tight face,like my skins being stretched....

ive had terrible problems with my skin and ended up in hospital with 3 rashes going on all at once . one was like a mutation of chicken pox , another similar to shingles and to top it off one similar to hives , infact my skin was that hot you could have fried an egg on me . this went on for 6 mths and has been the reason i have relapsed badly . ive been really ill now with no let up for the past 15 months because of this .

my skin itches a lot though tbh im usually way below normal body temperature . i cannot regulate my temp at all now and any extreme in the weather affects me badly .when i was in the hospital one of the nurses who had lupus was convinced i was in a severe lupus flare . i have all the signs and symptoms though it is not showing up in any tests .

i have heard of other folk with me/cfs having skin problems though it isnt one of the main symptoms . ill be honest though i havent come across anyone yet who has flared up like i did . my own GP said he had never seen anything like it .

and what did the hospital say lol ....... oh id either reacted to my meds ( strange how id been on them for over a year with no adverse affect) or yes you guessed it the usual cop out well it must be a virus . would be nice if they would specify which one for a change :Retro mad:

slayadragon's thoughts on mold, which are very consistent with my own experience, may be relevant for some readers of this thread:
http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...oach-to-Address-CFS-Viruses&p=79507#post79507

What slayadragon describes sounds almost exactly how I learned to manage my own triggers through concentrating on the extremely subtle environmental factors (primarily mold) that trigger itching. I am very unsure whether the primary importance of mold and detox applies to all of us. It seems possible, but I suspect those with a strong viral component at onset and who frequently catch colds may have less success with this approach than the 'never catch colds' group. But for many people with MCS symptoms and itchy/sensitive skin, slayadragon's pointers could show a way forward.

Mithriel

When my husband had very high levels of thyroid hormone in his system he had dreadful itching.

I get bad itches when I get hot. If my feet are close to a heater they itch terribly. I often have to go without socks even though my feet feel freezing and my body temperature is low.

I think some of my itches are due to random nerve firings. My friends with MS get really itchy ears the same as I get.

Legs and ears, I could scratch till I am raw :Retro smile:

Mithriel