A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Issues in Estimating Rates of Pediatric CFS and ME in a Community-Based Sample

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text: http://avicennajnpp.com/?page=article&article_id=37281

Joh, Valentijn and AndyPR like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I didn't find this very interesting.

The main thing I found interesting was the discussion of exclusions and the like:

3. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Dolphin likes this.
  4. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

@Dolphin The final sentence of the first paragraph which you quote is very oddly phrased. It seems to build up to an expected "did not have CFS or ME" , only to omit the "not".

5. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

On reflection that sentence is perhaps of greater significance than at first assumed.

It looks wrong. The construction of the sentence appears to indicate an intention, at some stage of the process, to state that the child did not have ME or CFS. This has been altered, either intentionally inadvertently.

If the error be a typo it has escaped the attention of seven co authors, peer reviewers and journal editor. That would say something about the process.

If it be the intended view of the authors, then they are expressly stating that "a healthy child who was overdoing his level of sports involvement ... did have CFS or ME." This view might not be unexpected if stated within a radius of,say, one hundred miles of London, but from a team led by Jason it would be of concern.

It calls into question the whole concept of chronic illness, which, at least in general usage is expected to be both of lengthy duration and resistant to treatment. If one considers a condition to be caused by overdoing the level of sports activity, it is a strange world where the child is diagnosed with CFS rather than being advised to curtail the said activity. I must admit to being old fashioned about these ideas.

Joh likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I think it is a typo based on my reading of the paper and knowledge of Lenny Jason.

Chrisb likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.