• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Isoflavones inhibit poly(I:C)-induced serum, brain, and skin inflammatory mediators - relevance to c

osisposis

J Neuroinflammation. 2014 Oct 31;11(1):168. [Epub ahead of print]
.Isoflavones inhibit poly(I:C)-induced serum, brain, and skin inflammatory mediators - relevance to chronic fatigue syndrome
Vasiadi M, Newman J, Theoharides TC.
Abstract
BackgroundChronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a neuroimmunoendocrine disease affecting about 1% of the US population, mostly women. It is characterized by debilitating fatigue for six or more months in the absence of cancer or other systemic diseases. Many CFS patients also have fibromyalgia and skin hypersensitivity that worsen with stress. Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) and neurotensin (NT), secreted under stress, activate mast cells (MC) necessary for allergic reactions to release inflammatory mediators that could contribute to CFS symptoms.ObjectiveTo investigate the effect of isoflavones on the action of polyinosinic:polycytidylic acid (poly(I:C)), with or without swim stress, on mouse locomotor activity and inflammatory mediator expression, as well as on human MC activation.MethodsFemale C57BL/6 mice were randomly divided into four groups: (a) control/no-swim, (b) control/swim, (c) poly(I:C)/no swim, and (d) poly(I:C)/swim. Mice were provided with chow low or high in isoflavones for 2 weeks prior to ip injection with 20 mg/kg poly(I:C) followed or not by swim stress for 15 minutes. Locomotor activity was monitored overnight and animals were sacrificed the following day. Brain and skin gene expression, as well as serum levels, of inflammatory mediators were measured. Data were analyzed using the non-parametric Mann-Whitney U-test.ResultsPoly(I:C)-treated mice had decreased locomotor activity over 24 hours, and increased serum levels of TNF-¿, IL-6, KC (IL-8/CXCL8 murine homolog), CCL2,3,4,5, CXCL10, as well as brain and skin gene expression of TNF, IL-6, KC (Cxcl1, IL8 murine homolog), CCL2, CCL4, CCL5 and CXCL10. Histidine decarboxylase (HDC) and NT expression were also increased, but only in the skin, over the same period. High isoflavone diet reversed these effects.ConclusionPoly(I:C) treatment decreased mouse locomotor activity and increased serum levels and brain and skin gene expression of inflammatory mediators. These effects were inhibited by isoflavones that may prove useful in CFS.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25359293

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4236420/