The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is vitamin D too high?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by vamah, Mar 21, 2013.

1. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    I tested low for vitamin D several months ago and have been taking 5000iu a day since then. When I was retested recently my level was 57 (up from 20) on a test that said normal range was 25-100. My doctor says that anything over 35 is too high and I should not take more than 1000iu. I am confused. Anyone have insight in to this?

2. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    LEF says anyone under the 50 level is deficient. I understand not everyone is in agreement as far as optimal levels but I would think your doctor is off by saying anything over 35 is too high. Even from this statement on this site..it reinforces that you doc is off in what he is saying....

"In fact, 20% of our tests revealed 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels below 30 ng/mL, a number that even conventional doctors recognize as insufficient."

So his/her "high" level is only 5 points higher than what conventional doctors recognize as being insufficient?? Something doesn't seem right about what he/she is telling you.

3. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Sorry forgot to add the link but PR must be having issues. I couldn't edit to add the link. I will when I can

4. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    Thanks for this. I was inclined to disagree with my doctor -- she was trying to attribute pain I was having to too much vitamin D, but she was also trying to attibute my anger at poor healthcare to mental illness, so it wasn't a stellar day for her. :confused: I may go down to 2000iu once the weather is nicer and I can spend time in the sun, but for now I will stick to 5000.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Our bodies should be able to produce way more vitamin D than we can get from supplements with just a little bit of UVB exposure, and without risk of producing excess. But we tend to be "special" so who knows :cool:

6. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    Yes, I guess I am "special." My original low result was during the summer, when I get plenty of sun, so I think my body just isn't able to produce enough.

Valentijn likes this.
  7. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

You could try reducing to 3000, and seeing what happens?

PS: I'm speaking from position of near total ignorance.

9. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    With this illness it is also important to check Vit D 1,25 which is often too high when Vit D 25 is too low. I think it is the Vit D 1,25 values going too high that are something to watch more than the Vit D 25 going too high.

Sushi

Ema likes this.
  10. Patrick*

Patrick* Formerly PWCalvin

California
    My doctor says optimal is in the 70s. Other web sources say optimal is in the 50s, but you won't find many who will say you're too high at 57.

11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    How do I quadruple-like this post!!!

I completely agree. Shoot for whatever 25-OH level keeps your 1,25 OH level around 30. For me, this works out to 4000 IU/day and my 25-OH level is in the 50s.

Ema

12. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    My Dr tests for 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D, is this the same as 1 of the 2 you mention above Sushi?

GG

13. Sushi

Albuquerque
    No, GG, Vit D 25 (the one your doc uses) and Vit D 1,25 are two different tests. Most doctors just test Vit D 25.

Sushi

14. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    So you are saying there are 3 different ways of giving results for Vitamin D instead of 2?

GG

15. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Sorry, no there are only two that I know of. 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D is what I was calling Vit D 25--as opposed to Vit D 1,25.

Sushi

*GG* likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.