• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is twisting the wrists while sleeping some kind of symptom?

Gondwanaland

DH and I have benn sleeping on our wrists, literally.

I know that sleeping with the arms stretched out above the head means arsenic toxicity (I already knew it from reading homeopathic materia medica, Cutler's books and later witnessed a real life case).

So I have been wondering if when someone starts twisting the wrists during sleep to the point of waking up in pain from having too much weight on the wrists, and pain in the hands as well, could be from some detox or a new toxicity event.

A quick search brought up antimony related with arthritic pain in the hands.

Last edited:

garyfritz

I can't say if it's a symptom of something. But in my 20s and 30s I used to sleep with my wrists curled in towards my body, and I ended up with a lot of carpal-tunnel-type pain in my wrists. I trained myself not to sleep that way any more, and I haven't slept like that in decades. So it might be a symptom of something, or it might be a habit you can change.

garyfritz

Hm. Starting suddenly doesn't sound like a habit. Starting at the same time for both of you is highly suspicious -- I'd have to agree it does sound like some kind of environmental trigger. I wouldn't expect it to be a detox symptom unless both of you entered into detox at the same time for some reason.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I have long slept with my wrists tucked in, like @garyfritz said. But it was never a real problem until my small joints (fingers, wrists, feet, ankles) have been under attack the last 2 years (got sick 6 years ago), probably from mast cells as near as I can figure. The very first symptom of this new stage was when my feet hurt when walking down the stairs in the morning. I probably have always had a Connective Tissue Disorder.

I sometimes use a splint-style wrist brace when sleeping, and sometimes that paradoxically makes it worse. I always use that brace on my bad right wrist anymore when at the computer, it always helps then.

Gondwanaland

Suspect #1: the new bottle of fish oil.

DH and I skipped it yesterday and didn't curled our wrists this past night. The pain is still there though :ill:

Critterina

We curl in like @garyfritz. My doctor said it was genetic, neurological, and is often associated with night terrors. Both my mom and I have slept this way all our lives. I even put one curled up wrist under the other and push them up against my chin for more torque. Go figure. This was way before any supplements or the illness that brought me here.

Critterina

I know that sleeping with the arms stretched out above the head means arsenic toxicity (I already knew it from reading homeopathic materia medica, Cutler's books and later witnessed a real life case).
Hi @Gondwanaland,

Like so many times, I'm intrigued by the side comments people make. I also, when not curling my wrists, sleep with at least one shoulder folded up, head on front lower head of tricep, in a way that many people can't even contort themselves to. I've tested for arsenic and none shows (serum, urine). How did you confirm the connection? I thought I closed that As toxicity possibility, and attributed it to the COL5A mutations, but maybe I'm wrong.

Gondwanaland

Do you have ideas about why the silymarin does this?
Silymarin interacts with iron, reduces iron levels, I don't know if it will increase or reduce iron circulation, and this causes the hand curling.
My doctor said it was genetic, neurological, and is often associated with night terrors.
I am no doctor, but I think those symptoms are from mineral imbalances. Just a few days ago I read that magnesium is the missing mineral in night terrors (sorry I forget where I read that).
one shoulder folded up, head on front lower head of tricep, in a way that many people can't even contort themselves to
I couldn't picture the description, but it doesn't match As. I recommend some reading of homeopathic materia medica to find out more about your specific position - I suggest to google for "homeopathy sleep position" and something more descriptive of your position.

I have a long story about how I confirmed the As sleeping position...

The 1st time I read it was on Cutler's books, and he certainly researched thru homeopathic materia medica.

Then a friend of mine told me she always sleeps with the arms above her head, and she does have a lot of other As behavioral symptoms (poor judgement, hurting herself).

Last year after taking methylfolate I slept like that for a couple of months during winter. More recently I read or watched a video of Ben Lynch stating that As is the 1st metal detoxed by Mfolate.

Also last year my parents' neighbors put a swimmingpool in the yard with a wooden deck. I had just read in Cutler's book that one source of As is wood treated with arsenic. So I told my parents they had to change the place of their vegetable garden because the earth would be contamined by the neighbor's wooden deck. Another neighbour who is agronomist confirmed what I said.

Now it gets interesting and sinister:
The owner of the swimmingpool was pregnant and after the baby was born she had undiagnosed adrenal fatigue/postpartum depression. She could never get up in the morning, and my mother would never see her outdoors with the baby.

Then one day she told my mother she had seen a doctor because she was waking up with numb arms, and was doing tests for blood coagulation. Just one thing she never asked herself was why all of a sudden she was sleeping with her arms above her head... And the husband came and showed a picture of the baby on his cell phone: "look at the baby girl, she sleeps with the arms above her head just like her mom!" So one could wrongly say it is genetic to sleep with the arms above the head just like your dr. said, Crit.

At this time the baby was less than 1 month old, and my parents were building a big wall to replace the wire fence close to the wooden deck, and my parents told them the wall was because of the poison of their deck. They weren't impressed. Now guess what is the profession of the woman... she is a chemist, and is not afraid of chemicals...

Then the agronomist came by to visit my mother, and we told her about the neighbor's and the baby's symptoms, and she confirmed that those were As symptoms.

Last edited:

Critterina

Well, I don't know what to make of this. I don't know how you confirm As without testing it. Saying someone confirmed it doesn't do it for me. As is recognized by the state of California to be elevated in many foods, particularly rice products, and I don't use that or other products with that labeling. I am not short of magnesium. I've never had night terrors, but I do often sleep with the curled wrists. It doesn't add up.

Gondwanaland

@Critterina I don't think you have arsenic. The wrists thing hubby and I experienced from Milk Thislte could be transport of iron, manganese, lack of copper or even high circulating oxalates since MT is high in them. I never paid attention to what foods we were eating when DH complained of sleeping with the hands tucked in and hurting like @Sherlock reported.
It could well be my latest nemesis, the oxalates :bulb::devil::rolleyes:

Critterina

@Critterina I don't think you have arsenic. The wrists thing hubby and I experienced from Milk Thislte could be transport of iron, manganese, lack of copper or even high circulating oxalates since MT is high in them. I never paid attention to what foods we were eating when DH complained of sleeping with the hands tucked in and hurting like @Sherlock reported.
It could well be my latest nemesis, the oxalates :bulb::devil::rolleyes:

I agree. The arsenic test was 6 with a reference range of 0 to 81. Probably not a problem.

My dad and brother had oxalate kidney stones, and so although mine have never been analyzed, I figure that oxalates are probably best avoided for me, too. I remember my dad avoiding spinach and cashews in particular, in the 1960s, but in the internet age, we can find more and more requirements for tweaking our diet.