• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is this paradoxial folate deficiency?

Aerose91

I've taken a few hits lately along with upping my mfolate dose so im not sure whats causing my new symptoms.

I'm now successfully taking 10 mg mb12/day and am up to 16 mg mfolate. I know the symptoms of too much mb12 and am right at my limit but I'm not sure about what too much mfolate would look like or how to tell if you are in folate deficiency.

The past week or two ive developed; flu symptoms, muscle achiness, increased muscle weakness, increased exercise intolerance, lightheadedness/dizziness, fatigue, waking up more frequently at night, coordination problems (can't type the correct keys), poorer contrast in my eyes (darks are darker and lights are brighter) and a general malaise/lethargy. These are all at their worst in the morning.

Around the same time ive been upping my mfolate i moved to a new place so even though i think the air quality is good i can't be certain and i also had a mold exposure. It was in my truck so i got rid of everything with mold on it but the rest of the truck was exposed. Im not showing my acute mold symptoms but I'm not sure how a long term, low level exposure would present in me.

This methylation crap has so many damn variables and they all share so many symptoms :bang-head: I dont know what the symptoms of too much mfolate are and dont know if thats dangerous so im hesitant to keep going up until i have a better idea of whats going on.

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

ahmo

How longbefore your symptoms did you last increase folate? On the surface, the easiest thing is to back off 1-200mc and see if there's any change. When you say you're at your limit for B12, that might mean you've also reached an upper limit for folate.

I don't think you're in actual danger, because you're clearly closely observing your body. My folate deficiency symptoms have all been skin/scalp outbreaks. When I've had excess folate, it's been adrenal stress.

You're doing great just to get it that this methylation crap has so many damn variables! :nerd: Hang in, it probably wown't be long before you can discriminate between folate and mold. Here's hoping it's folate.:thumbsup:

Aerose91

Thanks, guys. And thanks, minkey, i got a spot for about a month. It feels amazing to be abke to lay down and sleep.

Are there definite symptoms of too much folate? And if so do they differ from deficiency? I'll back it down 1mg tonight and see if anything changes, though.

I've found it much harder to increase mb12 than mfolate. I had ti start at 1mg mb12 and slowly move up, wherase reaching 16 mg is the first time I've (possibly) run into any issues with folate.

Last edited:

Kathevans

Ok, well, I'm still very early in this journey (1 mg Me B-12; 400mcg folate), but my earliest symptoms, because of a B-Complex I was taking that began to use methyl donors without my noticing (whoops!), were all what I took to be a paradoxical folate insufficiency, or a folate block. They included worsening pain, muscular weakness particularly in my back, diarrhea (now alternating with either IBS or somewhat normal), skin rashes on my chest and face, runny nose (almost as if I might be getting a cold), heart pvcs, the dizziness and stumbling, too, if my ratios are too far out of wack.

Otoh, too much folate for me is just hyper-raciness. When I feel too overwrought from methylation, there's nothing like an extra dose or two of 100 mg niacin.

At least this is my current interpretation of these physiological tea leaves!:rolleyes: