• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is This Funny?

Esther12

Thanks for the note, and I’m sorry that the joke offends you and others. I’m afraid I am not going to change it.
David

I really hate that sort of thing.

"I'm afraid I am not going to change it"? How pathetic. You can change it or not, but if you decide not to, don't try to hide behind that sort of placating passive language. I'd have much more respect for him if he said "I'm not going to change my joke because I think CFS is a funny disease. It makes me laugh that people use it as an excuse to avoid getting on with their lives."

"I'm sorry that the joke offends you" - that's not the problem! It doesn't matter whether anyone was offended or not, the problem is that his joke was based on a misunderstanding of CFS, and may serve to spread that stupidity amongst his readers. He doesn't have the right to appologise for the justified offence which others may feel.