1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

is this a POTS thing?

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Aerose91, May 29, 2014.

1. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

For the past few months, while I'm sleeping (or trying to sleep) if I roll onto my back I will almost immediately get anxiety. I have to sleep on my side now. I never associated POTS with anxiety but could that be the cause?

2. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Could it be that you are interpreting your heart pounding from tachycardia as anxiety? A lot of people do. Your heart starts pounding then your mind starts looking for something to explain it. True anxiety is a different beast.

3. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Pots stands for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome so dx is based on symptoms that exhibit during orthostasis. So standing or sitting are triggers.

How about sleep apnea ? Not sure what else. Tc .. x

4. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

No I don't freak out at all when my heart beats harder, I'm so used to it. This just feels like a pure anxiety issue. Hmm, guess ill have to explore further

5. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Have you tried an anti-anxiety agent during these episodes?

6. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I haven't. Theanine seems to be the only thing I can handle without paradoxical effect so I will give that a shot

7. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    how is your breathing at that time? some people breathe less well on their back. if this is the case you should mention it to your doc.

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I have to sleep on my left side, because it feels like I can't breathe in any other position, and I tend to wake up shaky and with a headache after an hour or so if I try.

After literally turning blue one night, I got a pulse oximeter. It shows that my oxygen saturation drops and my heart rate rises in any position other than my left side.

My best guess would be that oxygen deprivation and/or increased heart rate are making you feel like crap when you lie down in the problematic position. The oxygen deprivation basically causes your body to rather urgently tell you something is wrong. Anxiety isn't positional :p

SOC and xchocoholic like this.
  9. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

^^ that's the best reasoning I've heard! I can buy it. Funny you say that too I usually tend to end up on my left side when I sleep.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.