• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is this a pots thing

sleepy237

I have noticed that amongst other palpitations (at rest) many of the more severe come after exertion (although be it minimal). Can this be due to the ANS re regulating itself from standing to sitting or moving to stopping? No one likes the heart symptoms but I just wondered if this was an ANS issue affecting the heart - replies appreciated in advance ~Sleepy

richvank

I have noticed that amongst other palpitations (at rest) many of the more severe come after exertion (although be it minimal). Can this be due to the ANS re regulating itself from standing to sitting or moving to stopping? No one likes the heart symptoms but I just wondered if this was an ANS issue affecting the heart - replies appreciated in advance ~Sleepy

Hi, sleepy237.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wonder if you could be deficient in magnesium. This is common in ME/CFS, and it can produce palpitations.

Rich

sleepy237

Thanks Rich im taking magnesium and co q 10 idk im in five weeks wait after tilt test and growing very impatient. Thanks for replying.

TinyT

By palpitations do you mean excessively strong or fast heart beats?

I'm not sure about the ANS re- regulating itself. It is possible to have conditions such as inappropriate sinus tachycardia as well as POTS. I *think* that POTS is not normally over 100bpm at rest (unless you are really dehydrated or in pain etc). I *think*

TinyT

Oh also, It may take a bit for the HR to slow down/calm down after you sit/rest. My palpitations are worse after exertion (particularly climbing stairs). It could very well be an ANS issue affecting the heart, but you would need to get more detailed tests into your ANS function.

What did the TTT show?

sleepy237

TinyT thanks so much for your reply. Seems I am just plagued with palps but the ones between standing and sitting are pretty hard beats and I am still waiting for cardio to get back re TTT. It will be six weeks next week. Six weeks is average wait with our health service so hopefully soon. Best wishes ~Sleepy

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I get hard palps and chest pain. POTS people get this. As long as the cardio has looked at your heart, it is the POTS problem. Yes, Autonomic and I think the heart like our brain does not get the volume of blood it needs. Once I sit and have my feet up, it slowly goes away.

My Palps and pain is much better than it used to be. Yes, we do all need our magnesium etc to be taken. I take very good supplements, a regime by my doctors. I still have this. Improving, but most POTSYS get this. I am on several forums for POTSYS and we all have it.

What a shame it takes so long for results! Should be very fast like right away.

sleepy237

Thanks Sally, I am grateful. I am nearly pulling my hair out waiting on a letter that never comes. I guess I should quit complaining and be patient but I dont sseem to be blessed in that department. Best wishes. Sleepy

TinyT

TinyT thanks so much for your reply. Seems I am just plagued with palps but the ones between standing and sitting are pretty hard beats and I am still waiting for cardio to get back re TTT. It will be six weeks next week. Six weeks is average wait with our health service so hopefully soon. Best wishes ~Sleepy

Six weeks is a long time! It should not take that long for a cardio to interpret the test. Can they send info to your GP/PCP? How frustrating, I hate waiting for results.

I also had a thought when mulling this over last night, If you have a hyperadrenergic type POTS, you can have elevated levels of noradrenalin in standing. So it probably takes a bit for those levels to drop back down to normal.

So am I understanding, your heart beats harder or faster when you go from standing to sitting?

sleepy237

It seems to vary based on what I don't know - it always goes faster! Faster - 146 just on standing is highest ive recorded. Even when my pulse is slow on resting say 65 it will always go 110+. Sometimes my pulse is strong but other times it feels thready; this variation can happen at rest also but dysautonomias occur always not just on standing so who is to say what the hell is happening in this vehicle of mine. My doctor mentioned the vagus nerve, without explaining what it does but I went onto read and it does appear a huge culprit as my gut is also dysfunctional. Typical of autonomic malfunction. Before my tilt I read about the hyperadrenergic type but there isn't so much info out there and they didnt take bloods during my TTT so that will be unfounded. Someone recently said that a TTT means nothing on paper and it can still be said to be psych related. This has disheartened me greatly coming from a country where psychiatry deals with this illness a whole lot. I have been told that POTS is because of my inactivity/bed rest and to reregulate the cardiovascular I have to get up and about. All very well when you can't climb a stair or walk very far. I need something to get me back on my feet - that was the point of the test - me needing help. But maybe I also shouldnt be reading into what others say so much. I guess for the moment I just have to wait it out but I didn't have and wouldn't have had the tilt for no reason apart from findings and if I am offered no treatment I think it's fair to say I will FLIP my LID. I will keep you posted when I get news.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Sleepy, it would be nice if POTS were as easy as just being inactive! NOT TRUE! Don't worry about silly things people say, they do not have POTS and do not know what it is. Certainly not in the mind!

It is a dysfunction of the Autonomic Nervous system. A terrible problem that hopefully will be more understood. I explain it to all who ask me when I am out!

Just hang in there. I hope you find answers and then someone that can help with supplements. HUGS! Sally
LITTLEGIRLSFLOWERnewsh.jpg