When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is there a time frame for Centrelink to process my appeal? (Aust)

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by purrsian, Feb 11, 2018.

1. purrsian

purrsian Senior Member

So I lodged an appeal with Centrelink on 20/09/17 as they said my condition was not "fully treated" because I hadn't had CBT. Despite calling in Dec and Jan to see that the appeal was put in correctly and being assured it was now on a "priority list" because of how long it's taking, I still haven't heard anything. I'm on hold with them now, but I expect more of the same.

Is there a time frame in which this decision should be made? I think heading towards 5 months is a bit ridiculous. If I could get disability, we may not need to move back to his parent's place (which is a massive stressful job). I've just been approved for Newstart which is great, but no payments are made after a couple earns $25k/year while for disability, it's more like $78k/year.

I feel so useless that I can't work and all the pressure is put on my partner. I just wish this application could go ahead, so I could either be approved or at least be able to make a further appeal.

lafarfelue likes this.
  2. lafarfelue

lafarfelue Senior Member

Australia
    While this is from 2013-2014... Centrelink's services have declined quite sharply in the past couple of years (coughStaffCutscoughBudgetCutscough) so it's probably still quite accurate.

http://dspoverseas.proboards.com/thread/2999/centrelink-review-system-breaking-point

"Centrelink’s services standard for completing internal review was raised by 25%, from 28 to 35 days in 2011.

“The average waiting time for a review in 2012-13 was 62 days. Over a quarter, at 27%, took more than three months to complete. Almost 1-in-10 appeals took over six months or more to complete. There were 869 appeals that took longer than 12 months to finalise"

“At November 2013 there were 22,131 Internal Reviews awaiting finalisation. These figures confirm what people have been telling us for over the past 12 months.

“The Centrelink review and appeals system is under considerable strain. It is not uncommon to hear of delays of six months, or more. Many Centrelink recipients are complaining to their local Members of Parliament and to the Ombudsman about this problem."

Let us know how your call with them goes. Hoping the best for you. :hug:

3. purrsian

purrsian Senior Member

Well I spoke to someone who said they aren't allowed to give time frames on appeal decisions, but it has been too long, so she has put an urgent red flag on mine. I called up in Jan and someone told me they were putting it on a priority list, so it probably doesn't mean much! But the lady today confirmed it was in the correct area and lodged correctly.

Looks like I'm likely to be in the lucky 10% of 6+ months...although it wouldn't surprise me if everything is worse than in 2013-14!

lafarfelue likes this.
  4. CCC

CCC Senior Member

I have pmd you

purrsian likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.