• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there a list of foods containing salicylates, benzoates, etc. for an exclusion diet?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've recently discovered that the occasional eczema on my hands isn't related to soap - or just random - as I had thought, but is caused by what I'm eating.

I've already started a diet that excludes all grains, legumes, dairy, eggs, nightshades, coffee, tea, alcohol, and sugar.

Since then, I've identified cashews, egg whites and paprika as causing my eczema to flare up so I've excluded them.

However, it's still flaring up every few days. I need to be smart in how I track down the culprit but I'm new to looking into this food intolerance stuff.

I've just read that one way to approach this is by considering the chemicals in food, such as salicylates and benzoates, that are commonly associated with intolerance.

Is there a list somewhere or instructions as to how you do an exclusion diet for these things?

Or is there some blood test or something (preferably a well-established one that the NHS would recognise)?

Thanks! :)

aimossy

Chemical sensitivity diet im looking at with dietician, she has these lists @Sasha she thinks I might need a combo of this diet and fodmaps. but having breath testing first and working on it slowly....:)