Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is there a blood or urine test that can detect acetylcholine deficiency?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Peyt, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Is there a blood or urine test that can detect acetylcholine or Choline deficiency?

Theodore likes this.
  2. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Any test?

3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Peyt I have much confusion re: this issue as I feel acetylcholine is a major factor in my illness. I have a very low window of tolerance for cholinergic and anti-cholinergic meds. The Neuro I just saw ran some kind of blood test that got sent to Mayo Clinic that measures one of the antibodies for acetylcholine but I don't think it measures the Ach level itself. But I am the last person to understand this stuff so will be watching this thread for other responses!

4. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Thanks for your post,
    Well even if there is a test that measures the anti body that can shed some light on the Choline deficiency that would be fine...
    Did they ever give you a copy of the test results? Do you remember the name of that antibody?
    Thanks

5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Peyt I just did the test less than a week ago and do not have the results yet. They did not give me the name of the test or antibody, only that it related to myesthenic syndrome/Ach antibodies and was being shipped to Mayo. I plan to learn more in the upcoming weeks.

6. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

I did a google search and it looks like that test is performed to find out if someone has myasthenia gravis..
    Never heard of myasthenia gravis, but the symptoms shown here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/myasthenia-gravis/basics/definition/CON-20027124
    are not too far off from what I have... I even have the drooping eyelids.

roller likes this.
  7. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I think loads of people with methylation troubles have drooping eyelids.

8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Peyt the Neuro I saw did not think that I had MG (and I have no eye issues) versus a possible myesthenic syndrome or something with the Ach antibodies. My most pronounced issues are with my lungs and breathing. I have no idea yet how this all fits together and each day is like being a medical detective except one who lacks any science background. I will post more once I know it but so far, this is the extent of what I know.

picante likes this.
  9. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Please do,
    Regarding your lungs and breathing, did they ever measure your Oxygen levels?

10. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

do you know how much this test is?
    (and how long it does take to get the results?)

when its sent do mayo clinic then its a rather complicated thing?

11. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @roller sorry for the delay and I missed this post somehow. I have no idea what the test will cost after my insurance pays their portion. I had a total of three blood tests by Neuro (two were sent to Mayo) and I believe it will take 2-3 weeks to get all the results. It's been a little over one week at this point and I have not heard anything yet. It was not complicated for the doc to send the tests to Mayo from Stanford but am not sure how this would be from a regular lab like Quest or Lab Corp. Are you in the US?

roller likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.