• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there a blood or urine test that can detect acetylcholine deficiency?

Gingergrrl

@Peyt I have much confusion re: this issue as I feel acetylcholine is a major factor in my illness. I have a very low window of tolerance for cholinergic and anti-cholinergic meds. The Neuro I just saw ran some kind of blood test that got sent to Mayo Clinic that measures one of the antibodies for acetylcholine but I don't think it measures the Ach level itself. But I am the last person to understand this stuff so will be watching this thread for other responses!

Peyt

@Peyt I have much confusion re: this issue as I feel acetylcholine is a major factor in my illness. I have a very low window of tolerance for cholinergic and anti-cholinergic meds. The Neuro I just saw ran some kind of blood test that got sent to Mayo Clinic that measures one of the antibodies for acetylcholine but I don't think it measures the Ach level itself. But I am the last person to understand this stuff so will be watching this thread for other responses!

Thanks for your post,
Well even if there is a test that measures the anti body that can shed some light on the Choline deficiency that would be fine...
Did they ever give you a copy of the test results? Do you remember the name of that antibody?
Thanks

Gingergrrl

Thanks for your post,
Well even if there is a test that measures the anti body that can shed some light on the Choline deficiency that would be fine...
Did they ever give you a copy of the test results? Do you remember the name of that antibody?
Thanks

@Peyt I just did the test less than a week ago and do not have the results yet. They did not give me the name of the test or antibody, only that it related to myesthenic syndrome/Ach antibodies and was being shipped to Mayo. I plan to learn more in the upcoming weeks.

Peyt

@Peyt I just did the test less than a week ago and do not have the results yet. They did not give me the name of the test or antibody, only that it related to myesthenic syndrome/Ach antibodies and was being shipped to Mayo. I plan to learn more in the upcoming weeks.

I did a google search and it looks like that test is performed to find out if someone has myasthenia gravis..
Never heard of myasthenia gravis, but the symptoms shown here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/myasthenia-gravis/basics/definition/CON-20027124
are not too far off from what I have... I even have the drooping eyelids.

Gingergrrl

I did a google search and it looks like that test is performed to find out if someone has myasthenia gravis..
Never heard of myasthenia gravis, but the symptoms shown here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/myasthenia-gravis/basics/definition/CON-20027124
are not too far off from what I have... I even have the drooping eyelids.

@Peyt the Neuro I saw did not think that I had MG (and I have no eye issues) versus a possible myesthenic syndrome or something with the Ach antibodies. My most pronounced issues are with my lungs and breathing. I have no idea yet how this all fits together and each day is like being a medical detective except one who lacks any science background. I will post more once I know it but so far, this is the extent of what I know.

Peyt

@Peyt the Neuro I saw did not think that I had MG (and I have no eye issues) versus a possible myesthenic syndrome or something with the Ach antibodies. My most pronounced issues are with my lungs and breathing. I have no idea yet how this all fits together and each day is like being a medical detective except one who lacks any science background. I will post more once I know it but so far, this is the extent of what I know.
Please do,
Regarding your lungs and breathing, did they ever measure your Oxygen levels?

roller

wiggle jiggle
@PeytThe Neuro I just saw ran some kind of blood test that got sent to Mayo Clinic that measures one of the antibodies for acetylcholine

do you know how much this test is?
(and how long it does take to get the results?)

when its sent do mayo clinic then its a rather complicated thing?

Gingergrrl

do you know how much this test is?
(and how long it does take to get the results?)

when its sent do mayo clinic then its a rather complicated thing?

@roller sorry for the delay and I missed this post somehow. I have no idea what the test will cost after my insurance pays their portion. I had a total of three blood tests by Neuro (two were sent to Mayo) and I believe it will take 2-3 weeks to get all the results. It's been a little over one week at this point and I have not heard anything yet. It was not complicated for the doc to send the tests to Mayo from Stanford but am not sure how this would be from a regular lab like Quest or Lab Corp. Are you in the US?