1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is the ViroChip going to help us?

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, May 12, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I was searching Pubmed en found another article about the Virochip:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21559002

There have already been some posts about the Virochip on this forum. It has been used to detect XMRV. The current Virochip uses information from over 1500 viruses that have been submitted to GenBank.

Here is an explanation of how it works:
    http://www.jove.com/details.php?id=2536

And an interview with the inventor:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/health/research/07conv.html

So is this thing going to help us?
  2. pamb

pamb Senior Member

Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Hi Jemal,

Too technical for me to have a half informed opinion, but it seems this kind of technology will be a huge help in sorting out sub-groups in ME/CFS so treatment can be properly tailored. I think one of Ian Lipkins studies is looking for all sorts of viruses. Can anyone know if he is using this technology?
  3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    They used this chip in the inital study and the results used to be posted on the PR website, but i can't find it anymore. I don't know why stuff gets posted for reference then when you want to discuss or reference it's gone. Advice - As soon as something shows up, make a copy of it. I might have it somewhere and i think it was in a powerpoint presentation.
  4. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Mercer Island Wa
    Because of confidentiality imposition, some research is moving in that direction into looking at any and all pathogens is about all I can say at the moment in regards to the subject of this thread. I know it is not much help other than some comfort that researchers are looking at all possibilities.
  5. kurt

kurt Senior Member

USA.Earth
    I thought WPI already ran the virochip, that was reported in May of 2009 (?). They did not get any XMRV positives by the virochip in that study, but they did get some positives for HTLV.
  6. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    My understanding was that the virochip did not pick XMRV up - they ran it well before the XMRV finding came out. Dr. Peterson seemed surprised by this...but then some mention was made that XMRV was not in the chip...so it seems unclear what was what.

I would think the virochip samples would be a good basis for a study; that chip did seem to be the basis for reports of all these pathogens in CFS......
  7. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

But the ViroChip is not used a lot yet I guess?
  8. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Mercer Island Wa
    Some scientists are moving in this direction and are researching with the possibility of the virochip and xmrv and other pathogens with sophisticated technology equipment.
  9. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

That's good to hear!

I just wished the ViroChip was like a test you could take at you local hospital. Give some blood and in a few days know what kind of viruses were found.
  10. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I'll bet ultimately it will be. Dr. Peterson said there are now tests you can take at the hospital that can quickly determine what type of flu you have, I believe using a similar type of micro-array technology.
  11. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    The WPI has done some research with viral chips (not ViroChip) and appears to have licensed a chip. Here is the link to an older study done at the WPI involving viral array cips and cytokines. It's kind of interesting to go back to some of these old studies and compare to newer ones.

http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/docs/Invest_in_ME_20090529_Mikovits.pdf

See more popular forum discussions.