• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is the enteric coated version of P5P marketing hype or legit science?

It's been about 3+ years since this question was last asked on here.

What is the current opinion on enteric coated P5P?

I understand the basic logic behind enteric coated P5P is it supposedly isn't harmed by stomach acid. At 400-600% additional cost over uncoated P5P, my question is is there really legitimate value to warrant the markup or just a convenient means of differentiating the product an increasing profit margin?

BTW - I'm not debating the value of P5P just specifically whether there is legitimate value in the enteric coating.

JES

@Bluelude1 I have split my enteric coated tablets in order to allow me taking a smaller dosage. I react strongly even to moderate dosages of P5P and I definitely feel the effect even when the tablet is split. Seeing as normal B6 is almost always sold non-enteric coated, I don't think there is strong evidence to support the superiority of enteric coated P5P.

Gondwanaland

@Bluelude1 I have split my enteric coated tablets in order to allow me taking a smaller dosage. I react strongly even to moderate dosages of P5P and I definitely feel the effect even when the tablet is split. Seeing as normal B6 is almost always sold non-enteric coated, I don't think there is strong evidence to support the superiority of enteric coated P5P.
Me too

Critterina

I can't speak to the effectiveness of enteric-coated, but I can speak to the effectiveness of non-enteric coated, so I would have no reason to buy the enteric coated. For me, the results showed in my blood work. I had been taking 100 mg of P-HCl for several months and the interpretation of my serum amino acid test showed B6 deficiency in 5 or 6 results. When I switched to P5P, there was no more deficiency in my repeated blood work. I lowered the dose to 50 mg P5P and still no deficiency. My conclusion, based on a sample size of one, is that the non-enteric coated P5P was plenty effective.

ljimbo423

I have wondered the same thing about the enteric coating on some P5P supps. I have taken both enteric coated and regular capsules and have not noticed any difference. So I just use the capsules.

One more country heard from.:)

Jim