• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is the CDC Concealing Evidence of XMRV Infection in Children with Autism?

It would be totally stupid to try to cover up something like XMRV. No-one would be able to do it, so any attempt would just cause them problems.

I did have some concern that indifference and prejudices would mean XMRV would be another area of CFS that wasn't properly examined... but with the various studies still coming, it doesn't look like that's the case... although I wish something like the Lipkin and BWG's blinded testing of the WPI had been started some time ago.

Jemal

I think a coverup is also going too far. Politics are certainly involved though.
If it's ever proven that certain vaccinations can give a nasty retroviral infection for life, it's going to be a mess. Heads will roll and many people will stop having vaccinations, giving rise to new (or old in this case) health issues.

Jemal

Wasn't Coffin also claiming this virus resulted from some kind of combination event during the 1980's?

caledonia

Yes, I got my answer from the orginal poster on the Age of Autism comments section. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to repost so you can read the full reply over there. http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/05/...f-xmrv-infection-in-children-with-autism.html

But the short version is:
Yes, Coffin and his CROI paper reports an XMRV creation event in 1992. But there was also Koprowski doing human/mouse work in the late 70's, and a piece of XMRV matching a lab mouse strain which goes back to the 1950's.

ukxmrv

The papers are just speculation Caledonia. There is no proof that the strains of XMRV found in patients are related to any laboratory event.

Coffin didn't report "a XMRV creation" event he reported a theory he has backed up with incompete evidence.

If you read the papers mentioned in the response (age of autism) they can offer no proof. There are many threads on patient forums on these papers and the whole "contamination" theory. We need a lot more evidence from Coffin et al.

caledonia

There will never be any iron clad proof. There is too much at stake for certain people or organizations. Look at what happened to AIDS and what's happening to autism. If there is any proof, it will be denied and buried.

However, there are some interesting bread crumbs, such as XMRV contains pieces of the 129 strain of lab mice. I'm not trying to make a lawsuit, just trying to see if I can put together some information for a little YouTube video.