• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is SIRS, CARS, MARS - and now PICS - causing the "CHAOS" in ME/CFS?

ME3

Paralee. Yes 30 years ago I was taken to mental health ward, but was already delirious. A Dr asked me if I would allow him to do blood tests but this was in a small 'cubby hole' off the corridor. I was too terrified to let him, so given ant psychotics and left to sleep. No further testing was done. They said they did not know what was wrong with me, asked me to be interviewed as I was an unusual, interesting case. It was assumed to be an affective disorder. A year later it happened again and I had diarrhoea and gave a sample. The ward below was closed due to sickness and diarrhoea but no more was said. That same year a Psychiatrist wrote a letter, which said she had looked into my history and no MH symptoms were present. At worst all they could call it was an affective Disorder. It devastated my life from then on.

That plus the diagnosis of CFS is a double whammy that has devastated my life throughout. This is how misdiagnosis from an early age can affect how you're treated in the future.

At the same time as my 1st episode, after daughter's birth (see previous thread on Sepsis), I was bitten by mosquitoes in a country where none were present when we first went out there, but it became a problem after a lake was constructed. My legs swelled from thighs to knees and turned almost black with red and purple blotches. They were too heavy to get out of bed and took over a week to clear.

I did not go to the hospital foolishly as I just took it to be bites which from mosquitos that were harmless. This could well have been the start of my problems, but too late to find out now 36 years later.

Now recognition of Sepsis is being strongly highlighted in UK and E coli UTI etc, things may improve.

I would also add that I suffer from severe dehydration and must drink enough water through the day or suffer severe cramps in my legs. This has always been a problem and is also a symptom of Sepsis.

My whole story is a complex one so difficult to put here, but I hope some things I've mentioned can help.

If you ever think you have sepsis, always ask "could this be sepsis?" It is very important in babies, children and the elderly, especially in a hospital situation. It can occur at any age of course.

I'm not familiar with posting on social media so please forgive if I do not pick up straight away on questions.

Hope this helps JamieS