• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is sCD14 test good for leaky gut?

Daffodil

hi all. i just read an article on an HIV website, that says:

Beyond bacteria
Researchers in San Francisco have conducted elegant and sophisticated experiments to try to understand why monocytes produce sCD14 even in HIV-positive people who do not have bacterial infections. As part of this work, they took blood samples from both HIV-positive and HIV-negative people for analysis.

They found that monocytes from HIV-positive people seem to be activated because of exposure to interferon-alpha and not bacteria or bacterial proteins. Furthermore, activation of monocytes in their experiments resulted in the release of sCD14. The activation of monocytes in their experiments stemmed from exposure to HIV.

Other researchers in London, UK, have found that persistent activation of another group of cells—natural killer (NK) cells, which can help fight HIV-infected cells and cancers—occurs in people with HIV. This activation did not occur because of bacterial infections.

--------------------------------
quoted from this article:

http://www.catie.ca/en/treatmentupd...tion/importance-soluble-cd14-and-inflammation
------------------------------

does this mean something other than leaky gut (viral activation, for example) can cause high sCD14?

i cannot find the san fran study they are referring to

Last edited: