Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is Rituximab effective in gut case of CFS?

Discussion in 'Rituximab: News and Research' started by Ekaterina, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Ekaterina

Ekaterina

Russia
    Hi, guys!

I read some information about Rituximab, but still don't understand for whom it can be effective. My CFS is absolutely related with my dysbiosis, and I'm wondering if Rituximab can be effective in my case? Thank you

2. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

I don't think we know much as of now. We do know that patients that have ME according to the Canadian criteria have benefitted. Earlier studies show that up to 2/3 patients have a moderate or a major response.

I would guess that quite a few of the patients had IBS.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Yes, this question will be best answered in 2017 after we know what the phase III trial results are, though perhaps we may have to wait even longer for the analysis to be complete.

Marky90 and Ekaterina like this.
  4. Folk

Folk Senior Member

I've wondered about that too as I think my problems is similar to yours

What I remember is that one of the members (@Rebecca2z ) who got most benefits from Rituximab was being fed through tubes and now eats normally (or something like it). Hope she can confirm that.

Ekaterina likes this.
  5. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

I think she still uses a feeding tube actually.. check her thread out :)

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior Member

Canada
    I've had IBS my whole life before a sudden onset of seemingly progressive ME in Nov 2011. At what point of ME illness (and why) is someone put on a feeding tube? Is it due to gastroparesis, or malabsorption, or being too weak to eat i.e. chew and swallow or any other specific reasons I may not have mentioned?

7. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

No one knows of yet.

8. Rebecca2z

Rebecca2z Paradise, Ca

Paradise Ca
    @Folk, @Thomas, @Marky90 - I am still on a feeding tube, The RTX did dramatically improve my appetite. ( so it addressed the autonomic issues of the gut ) I believe the dysmotility I have is from the Ehlers Danlos I have.

{For those of you that have EDS and @Thomas this will give you some answers to your questions... here is a PDF about gut issues and EDS: http://www.ednf.org/sites/default/files/Collins.pdf }

I can honestly say the RTX did improve many of my gut issues and I am so very close to being able to get off the feeding tube. This is complicated getting off the darn thing, it is scary because I don't know if I can take in enough food food to survive. Getting on a feeding tube is a nightmare I wouldn't go into here, but requires being in hospital for 2 weeks. So if I get off it and have to get back on it I don't think can go through it again.

I want to be very sure I can eat enough before I get off it, swallowing is also a problem, but I can make food choices to better address that. The whole feeding tube is really awful - awful getting on it and awful getting off it. The thing just messes with your head !!

Marky90 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.