May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is research co ordinated globally?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Somer, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Somer

Somer

I'm currently fund raising for Invest in M.E in the UK but I started to wonder is that a good group to be fund raising for? If they're limited funds for M.E research is it better that they all go to a central place?

Is research co ordinated world wide to stop repetition & make best use of resources?
    Thanks!

ChrisD, Comet, Jan and 4 others like this.
  2. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

Simple answer is no, it's not. However, due to it being such a relatively small research field, I believe that most researchers will be aware of a lot of what others are investigating. Invest in ME hold their annual conferences that brings many ME researchers together and there is a biannual event in the States that does the same, so there is "cross-pollination" that goes on.

Really, we need as many scientists studying this as possible, so my opinion would be to encourage you to keep on raising funds for IiME - they are doing good work already and need supporting for that reason, and we need all the biomedical research in the UK that we can get to try to help in reversing the BPS model of our illness that is in place in the NHS.

Dolphin, jpcv, Jan and 8 others like this.
  3. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    No, and not sure that Globally coordinated research would really be a help. Who knows where the answer(s) lie?

GG

Dolphin likes this.
  4. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

Forgot to add yesterday that IiME are members of the European ME Alliance, https://euro-me.org/ - though this seems less aimed at solely at research coordination and more at bringing the various ME organisations in different countries together.

See more popular forum discussions.