Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is psychotherapy for functional somatic syndromes harmful? A mixed methods study on negative effects

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.jpsychores.com/article/S0022-3999(17)30067-3/fulltext

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

These therapies are not specifically oriented towards graded activity so I'm not sure the findings are that relevant in terms of the discussions about graded activity-oriented therapies for ME/CFS.

This was group therapy. I think that is a lot less intensive than individual therapy so might be associated with fewer problems, though there could also be some extra problems that arise from the group environment.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

All the authors appear to be from the clinic. This could bring in a bias in terms of both what patients might be willing to report to them and also what the authors are willing to report. On certain occasions I was left wondering where these really the worst examples they could find.

This is what they said on this.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Appendix B lists each of the 21 questions and the percentages in each category.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Appendix A lists all the questions.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I found this confusing:

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I found this one of the more interesting comments. There are extra cognitive problems in functional somatic syndromes like chronic fatigue syndrome.

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I have wondered from other things such as a high prevalence they found in a population study whether they were defining chronic fatigue syndrome loosely.

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I thought this was a little interesting. People with some chronic illnesses such as CFS can have reduced energy availability meaning they have to be careful in how they use their energy.

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I thought this was a little interesting.

13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't think that this tends to happen with nonpharmacological interventions for CFS.

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I thought this was a little interesting.

15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I wonder were there more interesting things said on this. Certainly if you asked a wider group I imagine there is a good chance a lot of things will be said on this.

16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn, Luther Blissett and AndyPR like this.
  17. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez

Ah yes. Forskningsklinikken for Funktionelle lidelser.

Sadly, being from Denmark I am somewhat of an expert on this area.

These guys, especially Fink and Schröder (who is also as obnoxious as he is arrogant) are complete wackos, who do not believe ME/CFS to be a separate disease entity at all. Instead they actually claim that different completely distinct illnesses like Whiplash, irritable bowel syndrome and ME/CFS are all actually the same disease ''Bodily Distress Syndrome'', and they claim they can prove this by showing that the different diseases / syndromes share symptoms in severely sick patients.

Regarding their definition.... They claim that they use the Fukuda criteria when diagnosing ME/CFS patients, but of course it all becomes very murky and weird, since they don't actually believe that ME/CFS exists as a separate entity at all. In fact they believe it is a complete waste of time, and an annoyance to deal with ME/CFS separately, and when they do deal with ME/CFS it is only to provide evidence that the disease doesn't exist as a separate illness.

If you look at the study numbers you will notice that a large part of patients with ME/CFS will also have some of the other functional somatic disorders, which in my personal opinion means that they most likely do not use the Fukuda criteria at all, or have a very broad interpretation of the criteria.

They actually wrote a letter to the editor when IOM published their 2015 ME/CFS report available @ http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2382974. It makes for entertaining reading if you have a twisted sense of humor.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    ScottTriGuy, Cheshire, A.B. and 7 others like this.
  18. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Same Fink who sectioned Karina?

19. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    Yep. Per Fink.

JaimeS and Invisible Woman like this.
  20. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    So, was the therapy successful? Were the patients cured?

See more popular forum discussions.