A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is Phoenix Rising growing? (membership numbers, server statistics etc)

Discussion in 'Information and Resources' started by Laelia, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Laelia

Laelia Senior Member

UK
    It feels to me like Phoenix Rising is growing! Is this the case? If so it would be good to get this information out as this would be good news for the ME community and ME advocacy!

How many active members do we have? How does this compare with previous years?

I found these server statistics from the Phoenix Rising 2013 Annual Report:

Server Statistics

[​IMG]

Do we have these statistics for 2014, 2015 and 2016 as well?

I searched for a thread on this and couldn't find anything but apologies if I missed something.

Woolie, MEMum, Gingergrrl and 6 others like this.
  2. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    @Laelia

Yes, Phoenix Rising is growing steadily.

I have kept some statistics. The following stats do not include spammers.

Total Members:
    • December 2012 = 6293
    • December 2013 = 8579
    • December 2014 = 11,406
    • December 2015 = 15, 048
    • Dcember 2016 = 18,519
    • Presently around 19,000
    Here is a screenshot of the number of active members per day since 2012 (when we switched over to the Xenforo software):

upload_2017-3-29_12-39-47.png

A you can see we are at about 600 active members per day presently.

I hope that answers your question.

3. Laelia

Laelia Senior Member

UK
    Excellent thank you @Kina! Yes this pretty much answers my question.

It would be interesting to compare annual server statistics too if they were ever done for years other than 2013.

Sushi, Kina and Yogi like this.
  4. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    It seems as if a lot of new people have been arriving (based on the number of 'Hi, I'm new' threads) since Jen Brea's TED talk.

Mel9, Laelia, Mary and 8 others like this.
  5. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    Most of the increase in new introductions is down to that we recently made it a requirement for new members to introduce themselves.

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Scary! I've still never done an introduction thread.

Mel9, Solstice, sue la-la and 12 others like this.
  7. Molly98

Molly98 Senior Member

@Kina , just out of interest, are you able to tell the breakdown of members per country?
    The reason I am asking is that it would be interesting to compare the UK membership with AFME and MEA and whether PR could be pushing for representation at various meetings where ME charities are included?

Hilary, Woolie, Cornishbird and 3 others like this.
  8. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Thanks for explaining, @Kina. Maybe that explains why I have noticed recently is several introductions so brief they tell us practically nothing about the person. I had wondered why they bothered, now I understand why.

That's fine, and I respect their privacy and/or being too ill or anxious to be able to reveal more.

On the other hand I may be imagining things - maybe it's always been the case that some people introduce themselves with very few words.

Mel9, MEMum and Laelia like this.
  9. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    This is by Time Zones.
    I have put the top 5 results. The rest of the list is skewed by spammers being included eg. India

Members Active in the Last Month:

Europe/London -- 437
    America/New York -- 420
    America/Los Angeles -- 261
    Europe.Amsterdam -- 192
    America/Chicago -- 151

Here's another stat:

Gender Ratio - Active in the Last Month
    (bottom line is where members have not specified gender):

upload_2017-3-29_18-50-59.png

Either have I. :whistle:
    Maybe I should provide some kind of template for them. I like the shorter intro's -- how long ill, any treatments, why they came to PR, where they are from. Most who have chosen to Introduce themselves in the past, have done so by choice, so therefore have written longer intro's. We have instituted this because we have had a ton of new members who we, the mods, encounter first and many of them do not have ME, aren't interested in ME. They just want to discuss general health issues or ask a health question because they have googled and we end up in the result list. They have no idea what ME is. We want this website to be for patients and not get diluted and confusing with new non-patient members.

CedarHome, Mel9, Manganus and 26 others like this.
  10. Molly98

Molly98 Senior Member

That really interesting, thanks for that @Kina.
    I was also interested to see that there is not much difference in the ratio of male to female, not as much as the difference in the ratio of female to male ME patients generally.

I totally get the reason why you now require new pps to introduce themselves, do you feel it is working/ helping so far?

Laelia, Sushi and Jan like this.
  11. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Neither have I been here since 2009!

GG

Laelia likes this.
  12. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

I can only imagine the growth Phoenix Rising will see once a reliable ME/CFS diagnostic test is widely available.

"Patients often struggle with their illness for years before receiving a diagnosis, and an estimated 84 to 91 percent of patients affected by ME/CFS are not yet diagnosed."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK284892/

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Although... the more people we get annoyed about PACE the better!

Izola, MEMum, alex3619 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Same here!:cool:

Zombie_Lurker, *GG* and Laelia like this.
  15. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I remember that PR had a huge growth spurt when XMRV was in the news and people were hopeful that something had been discovered. Anytime there is "News," a lot of new members join.
    Well, we are getting clear evidence of how many people want to join who don't have ME/CFS (or even suspect that they do), and don't even know what it is. If you open PR when you are not signed in, you will see the new notice for prospective members. So, yes, I think this will help us to keep our focus.

ahimsa, MEMum, AndyPR and 3 others like this.
  16. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    That would be very useful for brainfogged people. I was a lurker for a very long time because I could barely string together enough words to make a coherent paragraph. It was only once I had improved enough cognitively that I started asking questions, and then eventually answering others' questions.

A lot of the unspecified genders (bottom line) may be female. Unfortunately some Internet forums can be hostile places for women so it's safer to avoid specifying gender.

CedarHome, Mary, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  17. Murph

Murph :)

Yes and in the chart above I spy an uptick in activity right around when Naviaux's paper came out! (which is when I joined up! :) )

MEMum, Laelia and Sushi like this.
  18. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

I also see a major uptick in early 2015 following the Institute of Medicine report. That's when/how I was diagnosed.

Laelia and MEMum like this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

This will be why we've seen more of those 'I don't know if I belong here' type threads! I thought we were just having a run of people who were unusually nervous about joining a forum and didn't realise the rules had changed. I hope I wasn't patronisingly reassuring to any of them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  20. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Yep, that is the reason. Patients who suspect that they might have ME/CFS but aren't sure and don't have a formal diagnosis are welcome to explore it with members. What we are trying to avoid is people joining who may be perfectly healthy except for some relatively minor problem that has been discussed here by members who have that problem as part of their ME/CFS. The same approaches to the problem are not likely to work. Or, people who clearly have an unrelated disease but saw an intriguing post that they want to discuss. Again, discussing symptoms and treatments could lead to confusion--apples and oranges trying to discuss the best climate to thrive in! :confused:

Indigophoton, Mary, ahimsa and 13 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.