1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is PEM always associated with flu-like symptoms??

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by helen41, Jul 1, 2010.

1. helen41

helen41 Senior Member

Sleepy Hollow Canada
    I know I haven't been able to tolerate exercise for the past year, but I have never experienced fever, swollen glands or sore throat afterwards. Because of that, I decided all my symptoms could not be attributed to CFS, and looked more toward MS. I recently had an MRI which came back with numerous hyperintensities, but not MS plaques. I decided to have my reflexes checked to be sure and went to a physiotherapist yesterday. She found muscular atrophy around my abdomen and buttocks, but no nerve damage. In the course of the assessment she had me do what at one time would have been almost nothing but I knew I was going to pay.
    I woke at least 15 times in the night with muscle pain. Today I feel like she beat my back and especially my legs with a baseball bat. My legs are weak and shaking when I try to stand. I've been laying with my eyes closed most of the day and my mind is foggy once again, but I have no pressure points- my whole body hurts. I wouldn't call this flu-like tho. Is my description still within the parameters of CFS or should I be looking elsewhere for an explanation?
  2. helen41

helen41 Senior Member

Sleepy Hollow Canada
    I should add- I know from past experience that this response will last for days before it starts to ease. Way more than normal.
  3. Otis

Otis SeƱor Mumbler

USA
    I think you'll get a variety of responses.

For me the first sign (sometimes while I'm overexerting) is a headache. Sleep and pain are worse (to name my top 3) in the days to follow.
  4. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

It varies from person to person. I get the sore throat when I have really overexerted myself but not day-to-day PEM. Some people's PEM may manifest more cognitively than physically.

Here is a short paper about it:

http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2010/060204.asp
  5. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Sounds like PEM to me. Like my good doc says - "minimal exertion exacerbates all symptoms" (whatever those may be for you).

See more popular forum discussions.