Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is my methylation analysis actionable? Suspected overtraining, overall inexplicable test results

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by mter, Dec 23, 2015.

1. mter

mter

Hello,

After prolonged (years), intense exercise (>5 times a week) I totally ran out of steam. I self-diagnosed overtraining. Following this, I've had some tests run on me, first triggered by low thrombocyte B and leukocyte counts.

I provide my Genetic Genie methylation analysis, based on 23and me data. I've tried to interpret the results based on multiple resources, but I am not sure what, if any, action to take based on it, so I turn to your expertise.

(no MTHFR mutations cataloged up by Genetic Genie)

When last tested, I had high folate, b12 and ferritin levels (and somewhat elevated haptoglobin).

Any guidance or opinions is much appreciated!

2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

If you have high ferritin levels, this needs to be looked at. Preferably by a hematologist. My BIL has this and for now his ferritin levels are just being monitored. Ironically, he's also a hematologist but is not treating himself as he's seeing another hematologist for the high ferritin.

I have no idea what impact this has on your health.

Barb

Valentijn likes this.
  3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Based on those genetics and high B12 (assuming it was a serum B12 test), you could actually be deficient in B12.

The serum test shows what's in the blood, but not what's in the cells, which is where it counts.

It would also be good to look at your Detox profile from Genetic Genie and see if you have GSH (glutathione) mutations.

The overtraining could also have impacted your adrenals, causing adrenal fatigue.

See my signature link for more info and tips. My suggestion is to find a methylation doctor and not self treat.

4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Methylation doctor? Isn't that an oxymoron?

AFAIK, there is no science behind the methylation theory. I'll try to keep an open mind if someone can show the scientific evidence behind this "theory".

It's dangerous to advise someone to play around with supplements when they have high ferritin. High ferritin is a real medical condition with medically proven treatments.

Self diagnosis is not the way to go.

Barb
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-promised-by-dna-testers-belied-by-regulators

http://www.thinkingautismguide.com/2010/07/autism-and-biomed-protocols-primer-on.html

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/dubious-mthfr-genetic-mutation-testing/

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Valentijn and halcyon like this.
  5. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Senior Member

Depends how high his ferritin levels are. Maybe they are still within range.

If you have no MTHFR, I'd avoid methylfolate and try methylB12 and SAMe first.
    Do you have depression/anxiety?

6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Sometimes a condition warrents a doctor's visit. This may be one of those times.

But the decision is up to @mter

Barb

Valentijn likes this.
  7. mter

mter

Thank you for replying. I appreciate it!

Adressing the questions: No depression. Am a pessimist ("by nature" .) but never feel depressed.

Ferritin levels are high, but still within ranges and have been controlled by a doctor.

I've been going through my methylation profile. I find it interesting that many of my variations "counter" the "red flags" set up by analytics from Genetic Genie. While I don't find this surprising, it just reminds me of how amazing evolution is in practice.

I understand the questionable applicability of methylation analysis. To me, this is information that I treat with curioisity, but I will not let it dictate my life.

Valentijn likes this.
  8. mter

mter

Your concern is appreciated! It is valid and I have adressed it (see my post above). Not exactly on my initial topic: I will try to bring my ferritin levels down by lowering consumption of liver and raw cacao, latter of which is incredibly hard, as raw cacao is my "candy" (I know many people find it unconsumable because of bitterness).

9. mter

mter

Ta for replying, I truly appreciate it! I somehwat combined my replies. But: I have no depression and I don't feel suspectible to such. Still, I am very pessimisti (or so people tell me). And my ferritin levels are high but they still fall within the control ranges - an issue that I will try to address.

10. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

The only symptom I see is that you ran out of steam. Have you tried rest ?

See more popular forum discussions.