• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Methylfolate Safe to Take in High Doses Without MTHFR Mutation?

Just wondering if anyone here knows that they DON'T have an MTHFR mutation and yet do well on high doses of methylfolate?

I'm feeling scared about taking it, even though it seems to be helping me. I'm taking 11mg a day.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sue

stridor

There can be other things going on. Absorption, for example. I have to take methylfolate under the tongue as it doesn't do much otherwise (and have a problem absorbing riboflavin as well). mfolate is added to antidepressants in the kind of range or dose that you are taking...and that is long term. I am not sure if any studies have been done to compare efficacy with MTHFR status but it certainly is not a prerequisite for treatment. I read somewhere that folate has been exonerated re cancer, I don't think that you should worry. brad

Thanks for your response, Brad.

I am now taking 15mg methylfolate a day, divided into four doses, and am seeing the benefits. I went through the whole paradoxical folate deficiency thing, where several times I was feeling like I should stop taking the methylfolate (and on a couple of days did, with disastrous results) and have just kept on ploughing through to the stage where I'm at now. My health has improved out of sight. I understand some people on here are concerned about taking such high amounts and of overdriving the methylation cycle. For me, at the moment, I'm sticking with what works for me. And this definitely is working.

stridor

Wonderful news. You could be a bit like me. I don't seem to absorb folate well - who can say for sure how much of the 15 mg even gets into your system? I seem to need more mB12 and I just ordered the adenosylcobalamin = dibencozide. I am doing pretty good. My energy levels are lower than I would like and I still have some brain-fog. I am almost embarrassed to whine about these things now as they are a fraction of what they were a couple of years ago. Still, I am standing on 3rd bases hoping for that last big hit of the game.