• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Methylfolate Safe to Take in High Doses Without MTHFR Mutation?

Just wondering if anyone here knows that they DON'T have an MTHFR mutation and yet do well on high doses of methylfolate?

I'm feeling scared about taking it, even though it seems to be helping me. I'm taking 11mg a day.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sue

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Susie, have you had 23andme done? There are over 50 MTHFR SNP´s that can be mutated. Only a few have been identified as pathological, genetics are still an obscure field. The possibilities of you having some of them are very high if you are chronically ill. You should test your genes it is just 99 dollars. 11 mg is too much IMO.

Thanks for your response, Beyond. I am planning on having the 23andme test but I haven't been working and 99 dollars may as well be 9900 dollars lately.

I didn't realise there were so many different MTHFR SNPs. I had a negative blood test for MTHFR - but then I don't know if it tests for every SNP. Hmm, might have to check that.

Sue

stridor

I think that this kind of testing is optional. With, or without results, there is still guessing and experimentation involved. I had it done because I haven't found any "kindred spirits" in my journey and figured that I must have something unusual. The result did help convince my Dr that I needed more mB12 but I would have taken it either way.
Testing can wait. But keep your eye open for people who seem to be on the same path as yourself.