• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is metafolate as effective every other day

Hi,

Friend of mind who has ME is reporting that she find it heavy going with the B12 and folate. She asks if cutting it down to half the dose would be good. She is taking 800 Mcg a day with 500 Mcg of METH B12.

I advised her to cut into to half but she not got the strength (and I'm not near), so until I order 400 Mcg, would you think taking the 800 Mcg once every other day, while taking the normal 5Mg of B12 every day be ok?

She is finding it hard to describe her symptoms and separating them from "normal" symptoms with her ME. but she feels it having an effect on her. she gets heart racing, but is unsure if its due to the folate since she's had that before. Also she had an ache near her kidneys.

So i need to look at the howirecovered site and see if there are any "classic" symptoms with taking he metafolate.

Richard

PeterPositive

Given that the "start low and slow" approach seems best for a lot of people here, myself included, whatever helps building the tolerance should do the trick.

I agree it's probably best to cut the dose in half and take it every day, if it doesn't cause side effects. Normally this is the best strategy.

Maybe using one of those pill cutters would simplify the process for her? Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Apex-70068-Ultra-Pill-Splitter/dp/B000EGKTGK

I used to cut tablets and lozenges with a knife but often times I ended up making a mess or splitting them in anything else but halves :D. Small pills are the worst.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have 400 mcg which I'm going to quarter when I start.

One thing with pill splitters that I just ran across is the blade. I have one with a really long blade. I bought a 2nd one and the blade didn't even go through the pill so it had a horrible split and crumbled.

I found some on ebay too. FYI

Another thing you can do, which is work is crush the pill, put in in a measured dose of liquid and then use a syringe to draw up the dose you want. I can't do the math with 800 mcg but someone can help if you have a pill crusher and irrigation syringes.